Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM
TM

Default Big Island & Kauai

Sailing Celebrity's Infinity in November

Can't decide on which 'volcano' shore excursions to take on Hawaii since I'm interested in seeing an 'active volcano - Kilauea?' Excursions offered include Hilo & Kilauea Volcano, Volcanoes National Park, Circle of Fire & Waterfalls Helicopter Flightseeing (all out of Hilo) and/or Kohala Coast Helicopter Adventure (out of Kona). Recommendations?

Then on Kauai I'm wavering on the Deluxe Kauai Helicopter Flightseeing and/or the Kauai Backroads Adventure. Again, recommendations, comments, etc.

Bottom line is which is the best tour for the money. Do you get your money's worth, considering the expense (especially for the Helicopter Flightseeing ones)?

Side question - for the Helicopter trips - what's the best time of day to take them at both locations? Sun sets in November at what time?

TM
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Ann Marie
Default Re: Big Island & Kauai

Sailing the Pride of Aloha in October not sure about playing Golf and on which courses. I am an intermediate player and my husband is an excellent player. We would like to play once in Maui and once in Kauai. Thanks....
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I did a land-based vacation to Hawaii in early May and researched all of the tours, including the helicopter tours. Here are my recommendations. On the Big Island, any of the ones that fly out of Hilo are better. You will spend more time over the volcano on any of those tours. I flew with Paradise Helicopters on the Big Island.

On Kauai, definitely do a helicopter tour! Kauai is THE place to take a helicopter tour. Did you see Jurassic Park??? Well much of the location work was filmed on Kauai, including the shot of the waterfalls at the beginning of the movie. There aren't too many roads, even back roads on Kauai, so your best chance of seeing the beauty of Kauai is by helicopter. If you really want to be adventurous, don't book the flight with the ship. Book one of the "doors-off" flights that are only offered by Interisland helicopters in Port Allen. Fantastic experience and great for photos because there is no plexiglass between you and the scenery. Here is a link to my photo online photo galleries from my Hawaii trip including some of both the volcanos on the Big Island and the beauty of Kauai. http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery2/lgyee . Have a great time in Hawaii. I want to go back again soon.

Old August 13th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, and I forgot. Early morning is usually best for a helicopter tour of Kauai. Clouds move inland about 11AM and you won't get views that are as good of places like Waimea Canyon. On the Big Island, I don't think that it matters. I took my flight out of Hilo late in the afternoon.

Old August 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
TM

Default Re: Re: Big Island & Kauai

Linda Y,

Thanks for the advice. I did check out your photo albums for the Islands. Fantastic pictures of a fantastic place ( I hope that I'm that fortunate). I had heard that the helicopter trip on Kauai was a so called 'must' but wasn't sure why. Your photos validate anyone's reason for taking the copter tour whether Kauai or Hawaii. I'm not sure if I'm quite that adventureous, but who knows. As 'they' say, I'll take that under consideration. Thanks again, Linda.

TM
Old August 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
cali-croozer

Linda Y,

Kind of off topic, but I am looking into a family vacation to Hawaii. I am overwhelmed by the choices; what island(s), how long, what is a must see, etc. Do you have any recommendations, maybe of tour books or websites? Thanks in advance.

PS......your pictures are wonderful!!!!
Old August 15th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cali-croozer,
There are a lot of choices to be made when considering a vacation to Hawaii. The way that I started planning was to go to the website of the Hawaii Tourism Boards. There website is at this address: http://gohawaii.com/Default.aspx . They have links to each of the major islands websites. Order the "vacation planners" from each island and look them over to decide which islands you might want to go to. When you have decided that, then you can start researching all that there is to do and see on the islands you have chosen. Hawaii.com is also a good site for researching activities and deals, both land-based touring and Hawaii cruises. Their website address is http://www.hawaii.com/. If you are doing land-based, I would suggest a minimum of 4-5 nights per island. I spent 2 weeks there and visited Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island of Hawaii. The best tour guides for Hawaii are published by Wizard publications such as Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. The books are written by local Hawaiians and are really packed with information. They are available through most of your major bookstores like Barnes and Nobel or through Amazon.com.

I hope this helps a little. It's a lot of work planning a Hawaii vacation...but so much fun as well. Thanks, for your comments on my photos.

Old August 16th, 2005, 12:04 AM
cali-croozer

Thanks for responding! I'm going to visit those websites and order the vacation planners tomorrow! I also requested "Hawaii for Dummies" from the library!