Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Default dunns river falls

Hi all!
I am wondering about climbing the falls. I have read some entries where people say it is really slippery and dangerous. Other entries say that it was wonderful and not to miss it! Help! Has anybody climbed it and had problems or loved it? My youngest son is 9 (small for his age) and I worry about him being able to make it. Or possibly falling because someone up above fell and since we are all holding hands.... I don't want to miss out on something fantastic for the kids to do but I don't want anybody to get hurt either.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Old August 17th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: dunns river falls

Climbing the falls for a 9 year old shouldn't be any problem. I found it more difficult holding hands, if you should as well, just let go and go up on your own. Your son will be right with you, so if he should have some problem, you can always lend him a hand. Just wear some old tennis shoes or water shoes, the rocks can be slippery.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:47 PM
kcmom

I'm an out of shape 42 year old teacher. My two teenagers gave me such a hard time about it that I was determined to climb the darn thing. I did fall on my behind one time, but it was no big deal. Lots of people were around to help.

We ended up climbing up with a wonderful family from England. They were so appreciative of my 16 year old helping their smaller children. About 2/3 of the way up I decided to get off the falls. The teenagers started in again and by golly I climbed on up to the top! So there. Wear good shoes. Take your time. You do need to have some sense of balance. : )

kcmom
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: dunns river falls

Thank you both! I believe we are going to do this. I am thinking of going through Capt marvin's or shoretrips (I can't remember which one) and doubling it with the horseback riding at chukka blue. My sister and her husband did this and they got to ride the horses bareback in the water and they loved it!! Anyone ever done this?
Thanks!

Old August 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Admiral

do climb the falls its a blast. You definately will need water sandals/shoes or cotton tennis sneakers, something with a sole with some grip. Yes the rocks can be slippery, there is water running down on them! If you find the climb is to hard there are "outways" along the falls where you can get out onto the stairs that line the entire lenght of the falls. I have slipped and fallen a couple of times, nothing more than a couple of scrapes and bruises. Waterproof cameras are a must, your group guide will hold them for you, when you come to a photo opportunity spot, he holds up the camera yells' who this be", and he will take your picture for you at that particular spot. Note- the guides basically expect you to tip them a couple of bucks per person for their service at the end of the climb,they can get a bit of an attitude, get a bit pushy and apply the guilt trip if you don't tip them, we have always had great guides who were helpful, knowledeable and funny, we didn't mind tipping them at the least.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

This human chain thing up the falls doesn't sound like the best idea to me. I would rather clamber up on my own without someone pulling me down and keep me hands available to climb, do the staff bother you there if you just want to climb on your own? I heard there is a shuttle that can take you there and save a bunch of money from the cruise deal. Anyone ever take the shuttle?
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM
First Mate

My husband and I did it with our 2 daughters. We had no problems. We didn't hold hands, we started out that way but everyone let go. You will have a blast and no problems. I do agree. If I do anything in Jamaica I do it through the cruise ship. So much safer. It is a bit scary seeing all the police with their guns etc. Just be careful!
When we were done we went to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. It is right by the cruise ships so no need for a taxi. We got a cheeseburger that was great and they have a pool right inside the restaurant. Water slide etc. Your 9 yr. old would love it!!! Have a great time!

RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Sunlover!
I'm still not sure about the falls. We're pretty much going to leave it up to the kids. We are definitely going to do a horseback riding tour, though. We'll get to ride the horses right in the water!!!
I have read about Margaritaville and I've already told my husband that we have to go there! I can't wait to see it and experience it for myself. I'm extremely anxious for this vacation to get here, but I'm more excited about seeing the looks on my kids faces at each new experience for them!
I'll definitely write about my cruise when I return. Until then, I'm here every day reading, reading, reading!