Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ktbunch
Default Ocho rios..Dunns river, white water rafting or ATV tours?

Not sure what excursion would be best in Ocho rios... Dunns River Falls, White Water Rafting or an ATV tours... Taking myself, husband and our 5 children ranging in ages from 7-14... 3 boys, 2 girls.. Any insight or advice to this question would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Admiral

If I go again I will take a bamboo raft down the Martha Brae River, this is a calm relaxing thing not as exciting as white water rafting also not dangerous, but I have never done white water rafting. I did go to Dunn's River falls, and although the water is warm and it's a very pretty unusual site I will tell you what I did not like, everyone has to hold hands in line and help each other up the water fall. We had a women who was very obese behind us and out of shape, my boyfriend had to help her using two hands, he let me go alone and I feel and cut myself on the rocks. The wonderful staff at Dunn's river refused to help this woman, or me then expected us to tip them for their dis- service. Other people go every day and rave about it, but my experiance was ruined. Keep a mental note of who is in line behind you cause you are expected to help them.
Old September 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Admiral

oh boy that's a tough decision. All of these tours would be fun and interesting for you and your family.
Dunns River Falls is great fun, just make sure that you wear water sandals, water shoes or cotton tennis shoes with grip, as the rocks are slippery. There is a walkway alongside the falls if you feel that you don't want to make the climb, and if you start the climb and feel that you can't or don't want to contine there are outways. It is not a difficult climb, people of all ranges, sizes and shapes do it.
Jamaica is a gorgeous tropical mountaneous island so the ATV tour would also be a great choice.
Find out what class the rapids are, that could be a factor for your smaller kids, a better option might be the tubing tour.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Admiral

On my first cruise to Ocho Rios, my family and I went to Dunns River Falls. After seeing the Falls, my grandson refused to climb them so I stayed on the beach with him, my son-in-law fell and banged up his knees so badly that he was limping the remainder of the cruise. The water had an oil slick from all the boats tied up right off-shore. On our excursion booked thru Carnival, they drop you off at the beach, tell you to leave all your personal belongings on the catamaran for safety and they sail away and return in an hour to pick you up. You have no money, no towels, nada....there is no restaurant, no phone, nothing. I did not feel safe on the beach alone with my grandson and will never go there again. The next time we stopped in Ocho Rios, we walked to Margaritaville which is located in a nice shopping mall next to the pier. Margaritaville has a pool with a water slide right in the middle of the restaurant which my grandson loved. You also have access to their beach area. It was fun, the food was very good, drinks great and a safe environment for families when the cruise ships are in.
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Beginner

On our first trip to Ocho Rios, my hubby & I took the Cool Runnings excursion to Dunns River Falls. We opted to just climb the stairs alongside the falls and got some great pictures. We loved Cool Runnings & would do it again just for that part of the excursion. A word of caution: this is a party boat & on the return trip to the ship, they do PARTY! On the next cruise, we were in port in Montego Bay and had booked the Dunns River Falls excursion by bus (BIG mistake! Terrible bus trip!) This time we actually climbed the falls. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work too! We were not in the best physical shape, but we are not slackers, either. I'd be wary of taking a 7 yr old, unless the child is quite hardy.
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Passenger

I agree there are so many options to Dunn's River falls. We found the tubing combo, the river rafting combo and also the catamaran trip to Dunn's river and then there is the private motor boats tours that take you there and to private beaches....TOO MANY CHOICES!!!

We are looking at the tours offered on Jamaica Cruise Excursions because we have used the same company(Island marketing ltd) to book our cozumel and grand cayman excursions and I just need to figure out which option is better.

There is also a Jamaica retreat tour offered that has ATV's zipline and in the mountains but from what I've seen, we shouldn't miss Dunn's river falls, is that true?
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Please keep posting in this thread. Hubby wants to do Dunn's River Falls, while the daughters and I really don't care to, so we're looking for the cheapest little tour that will satisfy hubby and then get me and the girls back to town so we can go look around Margaritaville and we leave in less then 3 weeks. HELP!

Old December 1st, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseFuse
Please keep posting in this thread. Hubby wants to do Dunn's River Falls, while the daughters and I really don't care to, so we're looking for the cheapest little tour that will satisfy hubby and then get me and the girls back to town so we can go look around Margaritaville and we leave in less then 3 weeks. HELP!
We sailed on 12 - 19 Nov (Navigator). Jamacia was a wash for us (I didn't want to do the falls). The weather was lousy (rainy and windy) and the Mountain Bike to Sea Adventure was cancelled because the trail was washed out (and had been cancelled for at least 3 weeks). Anyway we walked to Margaritaville first thing in the AM (around 9:30). In my opinion, if you don't do any excursions you could easliy spend the day at Margaritaville (if the weather is nice it has its own beach and is only a 10 -15 minute walk from the ship. While the falls look nice I didn't want to hassle with the people nor was really that impressed by them (I grew up in Buffalo and have been to Niagara Falls many times so most other falls disappoint me anyway).

Hope you have better weather than we did .

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Beginner

as for margaritaville it is a cool place to grab lunch but you will have plenty of time to do this if you just take a taxi (it costs about $12 per person) to dunns river due to the fact that the guides are already there and it only takes about an hour to climb the falls around margaritaville are al kinds of shops for shopping as well
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for that info. I did find a tour guide that charges $30 per person for Dunns River, which includes the admission price of $15, so that's basically the same price as you are giving. That's very good to know.

Old December 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Is the beach at Margaritaville pretty? Are there lounge chairs on the beach? Is there a cover to get in, or is it just a restaurant/bar?