Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Default Scuba - Western & Eastern Caribbean - RCIs Jewel/06

Need help with scuba excursions in Western & Eastern Caribbean. Booked Jewel of the Seas for Nov/Dec/06 - B2B & wld love to hear from anyone who will be scruba diving in those areas this fall/winter 'cause the itinerary and times for the Radiance and the Jewel will not change from 2005 to 2006. Considering changing ships if I can't get in at least 1-2 dives each cruise.
Sure hope someone can help 'cause RCI sure won't - tried their site and not much mention of Radiance & Jewel and RCI reps were even less helpful. Even my TA was disgusted with the response which was virtually nil. Shame - great ships & itineraries but arrogant & offhand PR..in my humble opinion anyway!
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Passenger

We are going on Jewel this Dec. My hubby agreed to the last minute cruise because it was going to Grand Cayman and he had the best dive of his life there. It was 2 yrs ago and he booked thru RCCL excursion. He'll do it again this year. He also had a good dive in Belize the same year. The quality of the dive is VERY dependent on the excursion and the crew. He has had some mediocre and even scary trips! Good luck and happy diving.
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks So Much For Replying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlssailor
We are going on Jewel this Dec. My hubby agreed to the last minute cruise because it was going to Grand Cayman and he had the best dive of his life there. It was 2 yrs ago and he booked thru RCCL excursion. He'll do it again this year. He also had a good dive in Belize the same year. The quality of the dive is VERY dependent on the excursion and the crew. He has had some mediocre and even scary trips! Good luck and happy diving.
Not much time in Grand Cayman is why I wld want to do it thru RCI but can't get any info on the Jewels offerings which as u can imagine is most frustrating when u are trying to do your 'homework'. Totally agree u have to be very careful whom u do 'business' with - your 'life' cld depend on it. Really appreciate it if u wld please post when u return and let me know about anything u find out about the diving esp thru RCI.
Old October 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Admiral

dear cruisecutie; you are trying to plan to far ahead for your shore excursions, the cruise lines usually don't release shore excursions for booking until after the final payment deadline has passed, usually 90 days prior to sailing.
If you have a local dive shop near you, go there ask them where they go to dive and who they deal with, just make sure that you have your PADI certification card with you so that you can rent your equipment.
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Default Yes I Am But...Not Planning Just Questioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
dear cruisecutie; you are trying to plan to far ahead for your shore excursions, the cruise lines usually don't release shore excursions for booking until after the final payment deadline has passed, usually 90 days prior to sailing.
If you have a local dive shop near you, go there ask them where they go to dive and who they deal with, just make sure that you have your PADI certification card with you so that you can rent your equipment.
'cause I need to know if the Jewel (who will be 'doing' the same time frame and location next yr) even offers scuba because if not I want to change ships or even cruiseline..
Tried local dive shop but not much help - up here on Vancouver Island, Canada so limited information available.
Thanks for suggestions anyway!!
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Assuming you're doing the 6 day Western and 8 day Eastern b2b, you should be able to dive with RCI excursions (assuming they still book them next year and no reason to believe they wouldn't) in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, St Thomas, St Maarten, and Key West. I don't believe they have diving excursions in St John's, San Juan or Nassau.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

To check which excursions are currently offered by RCI, go to their web site and under the Before You Board heading click on Shore and Land Excursions, then click on Check out Shore and Land Excursions. You'll get a pop up window. Under Browse select Caribbean and the enire list of destinations will be displayed. You can then select each port to find out what excursions are offered. You won't be able to fidn out the specific excursions for your cruise until next September since they update the excursions and prices in the Aug/Sep timeframe. Hope this helps.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Passenger

Default Many Thanks...

[quote="mjyanne"]To check which excursions are currently offered by RCI, go to their web site and under the Before You Board heading click on Shore and Land Excursions, then click on Check out Shore and Land Excursions. You'll get a pop up window. Under Browse select Caribbean and the enire list of destinations will be displayed. You can then select each port to find out what excursions are offered. You won't be able to fidn out the specific excursions for your cruise until next September since they update the excursions and prices in the Aug/Sep timeframe. Hope this helps.[/q
uote]

Have done this and still not much help - the site doesn't give each ship doing scuba in each port - I have been told by an RCI agent that he has done scuba off the Jewel and 'she' does offer scuba in select ports but the info regarding where is simply not on the site and can't get RCI to respond to requests for even this yrs availability. If u are not cruising this yr they aren't interested even though I explained I want to know 'cause that is main reason I want to do the B2B.. They claim they don't make brochures and even my TA can't get info. Very frustrating... The PR on RCI is atrocious....
Really appreciate your effort to help - not sure what I am going to do - cancel and go with a more 'informative' cruiseline - go on the RCI B2B (yes - 6 day Western & 8 day Eastern) and take my chances &/or keep trying on this & other cruise boards to get help from fellow cruisers - sounds like the last one is my best bet hmmm if the help I have recd to date is any example..!!
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Admiral

lets break it down. List your ports of call and i am sure that we can come up with some suggestions for scuba diving.
When you go to the web site and access shore excursions, just type in the specific port, it should give you the list of ships excursions in that port. It won't go by ship proper, all the fleet uses the same excursions in port. It doesn't change from ship to ship.
Old December 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Passenger

Just returned from Jewel of the Seas yesterday. Hubby dove in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. He liked both. Cozumel: pretty strong current, but they have you dive with the current and pick you up downstream. He said it was not the greatest, but did like diving through the coral canyons. The boat was very crowded -- 12 divers and 4 crew on a small boat. I heard another diver say it was the best dive of his life because he loved going through the canyons. Grand Cayman: Dove the wall and a wreck. Hubby loves it -- said the dive people are 1st rate and run a very good dive and the sights are great. Both dives were booked thu RCCL. Have fun!