Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Passenger

Default Glasses while snorkeling?

I guess this is a stupid question, but we are trying to book shore excursions for our cruise in March. We would like to try snorkeling. I realized last night that 3 out of the 4 of us wear glasses, not contact lenses. Will the mask fit over our glasses or do we just go without them and snorkel blind, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Any help would be appreciated.

kcmom
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

When I was in Hawaii the tour operator actually had masks for nearsighted people. If you have a simple prescription like I do this may be an option. (I was impressed with that).

Otherwise, contact lenses are an easy thing to get used to and can be handy in many situations. Just go to your eye-glass place and ask for a contact lense "fitting." It takes two trips usually, one for the diagnosis and the other for the "fitting."

I think it is impossible to wear a mask with glasses, though, unless someone here knows something I do not.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

[color=darkblue]I just wear my contacts when snorkeling, not a problem at all. I've also just used the mask, the mask itself will magnify everything, so that did work also. I would take Paul's suggestion and see about getting contacts for that, since the day I got my first pair, have never had a day where I didn't wear them for 14 to 16 hours a day, just so much better than glasses anyday..[/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Admiral

they do make masks that fit over glasses, you need to go to a dive shop to purchase them. You can also have your prescription put into your dive mask. It all depends upon your eyes if you can go without your glasses when you snorkel. If you are "blind as a bat" without your glasses then you need to wear them or as the others have stated try contacts. If you can see a few feet in front of you even if its a bit fuzzy, you can snorkel without glasses ( that's me)
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks all. I have tried contact lenses in the past and could only wear them a few hours. I may check with my local dive shop about masks that will fit over glasses. If they are too expensive, we may all head down to get contact lenses.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
First Mate

I have to wear glasses all of the time or I would not be able to read or see a lot of things I would like to! When snorkeling with a regular mask, I have been able to see everything well. As a previous poster said, viewing through the water does magnify things.

Have a great time snorkeling!

Michelle
Old December 7th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

My brother and his wife purchased prescription masks before we went snorkeling last year. They weren't too expensive and they said they worked great. They will be taking them again this year on our cruise.
Old December 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Hubby wears glasses (no contacts) and bought a mask with his prescription at Sports Authority. They weren't too expensive, I think about $30. They worked great for him.

I wear contacts, so my mask had NO prescription.

We originally bought cheap snorkels last year, but they didn't work. We only spent $10 for them. We returned them when we got home.

We did find out that you need to buy a good snorkel. We went to a regular dive shop and bought one for $30 each. They made a big difference.

As far as flippers go, if you don't want to lug them, the tour boat can lend you some. It did help to have them.

We loved snorkeling, we spent two hours in St. Thomas.

We did a private excursion booked it on our own from other's on the cruise site.

If you're in St. Thomas and want a wonderful snorkeling excursion, check out the site http://www.sailwinifred.com/. I would recommend this excursion to all.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the information. We really want to snorkel at both our stops. If I can get something reasonable, I think I will do the prescription lens for all three of us. I'm going to my dive shop next weekend. : )

kcmom