Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Beginner

Default which R better ?shore exc for Mex Riviera or W Car & Bel

Hi all.I am a newbie so if i blunder please do not hesitate to let me know..

We are debating between a Mex Riviera cruise with Cabo , Mazatlan and Puerto Vallerata for the ports and W.Caribbean with Belize Cozumel and G Caymen as the ports in mid March or first week in April.

Originally we all wanted to do the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Pride as we have done the Caribbean many times.After looking over the excursions available in M Riviera , I am not sosure anymore.They seem okay but the only one I think sounds good is the Canopy Tour in PV.I am scared of heights though so I may even chicken out..haha

We haven't been t Beliize before and the Cave tubing sounds great .Also , unbelievably we have never done the Stingray City in GC.Cozumel is one of our favorite ports and we would not have a problem there plus we read about a place that sounds great , Playa Mia?? If we went on this one it would be on the Valor..

Our 13 yo son will be with us so it has to be somewhat exciting ..

if anyone has advice , we would welcome it !!

Sometimes an excursion may not sound that great but when you get there it is awesome , so maybe we are missing something about Mex Riviera??Besides the beauty of Cabo, that is..

Thanks in advance !!
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Sure hope this helps. We just did the Pride after many Caribbean cruises. I had always wanted this experience. We live on the East Coast, so the plane ride is long (nothing like yours). With a teenager, I recommend the cruise including Belize. First I will explain about the Mex. Riviera and then Exotic Western cruise.

First day out and last day on the way back to Long Beach was very cool on board ship; no pool until late in the day even though the sun was shining. Maybe first week of April would be better.

PV; Other than the Zip Line (which my DH said he wished he had done after we left port but I don't like that kind of height thing either) there isn't a lot to do. I did hear someone recommend the jeep type tour to the Sierra Madre region. We did the Rhytham of the Night tour, but its not for kids too expensive and they would be bored. We also took a yellow taxi into town and explored on our own through the downtown and on the Malecon. The waters aren't Caribbean clear & blue.

Mazatlan; we did horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses which I would recommend. However, this port like all of the others is very poor. It is no place for a boy to be off by himself either. We also took a short Pulmonia tour (Open air golf cart style taxi). We just did a drive by of old and new areas.

Cabo; we took a glass bottom boat to see up close the seals and Los Archos. $12 each for a 45 minute tour was enough for me. There are nice beaches and restaurants within a short taxi ride. We went to Cabo Wabo (great) and the Shrimp Factory which we enjoyed. Not cheap by any means.

VS:

Belize; used private tour vendor Reggie Trapp for Cave Tubing. It is perfect for your family. Reggie will stop for lunch too if time allows. A pre-arranged tour at this port is a must. You don't want to venture out of the Port terminal area in this location. Although the people are very friendly, it is a very poor area.

Grand Cayman; You must do the Swim with the Sting Rays. We have used Nativeway and other vendors. You could have the tour driver let you off at Seven Mile Beach, Seagrapes Beach will rent lounges & give a cool drink. A taxi back to town is easy as they line up here. Book early Swim with Rays when they are hungry. You don't need to be a strong swimmer as the sand bars and water are shallow plus vests will be required.

Cozumel: Jeep tour or take a taxi to Paradise Beach Club. Tom does not charge to enter but relies on your purchase of food and drink. If you or your son wish to use the Water Toys, a nominal fee is charged ($8 per person??) for Kayaks, the Iceberg, Water Trampoline, float mats, etc. Chairs and umbrellas are plentiful for your usage. When you have had enough fun in the sun, taxi into downtown and stop at Poncho's Back Yard inside Los Cincos del Sol souvenir & liquor store. It is so pretty and peaceful for a family.

Hope this helps.

Caribbean Princess
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for all the VERY helpful information!!!!

I had a feeling that the cruise with Belize would be a better choice since we are travelling with our teenager. After reading your post , I am positve that it is the better choice..I think the Mex Riviera cruise would be better suited for just my hubby and myself in warmer months..

I can't believe that we have missed the stingray experience in the past and cannot wait to do this. Paradise Beach Club sounds like a beach heaven that I know my son will love! Do you know if they have banana boat rides and parasailing? My son found a place on the net called Playa Mia that sounds just like Paradise Beach but has the other motorized activities as well.I have never heard them mentioned on a chat board though so I do not know how good they are..

Thank you so very much for taking the time to give such a thorough and helpful review of the ports experiences..!