Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Default Virgin Gorda "The Baths"

We will be in Tortola. I would like to tour "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda, can I do this on my own easily, as opposed to a ship sponsered shore excursion?
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Passenger

It depends on how long you will be in Tortola. The ferry ride to VG is about 30 mins (maybe a little longer). Then you need to take a taxi or van to the Baths -- about 20 mins. You are dropped off at the top and walk to the beach. It has been a couple years but the walk is downhill and rather rough terrain. The taxi drivers are EXTREMELY RELIABLE and will pick you up back at the top at the agreed to time. Get to the top a few minutes early and have a painkiller -- they're great. The Baths are phenomenal -- massive boulders (bigger than most houses) piled up. You walk from one beach to the other with the aid of primitive rope handrails, and stop along the way to lounge in the shallow pools. It's worth the trip -- somewhat crowded, but not too commercial. The snorkeling is mediocre -- mostly a beach day -- but overall a great experience.
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Beginner

We will be there from 7am - 6pm, so time shouldn't be a factor. Do you catch the ferry at the Pier? or do I have to taxi to some other point to catch the ferry?

Thanks for the reply!