Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Default Advice on excursions please!

We are going on Carnival Conquest on Jan.29.......what are good ideas for excursions for Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.........Paradise Beach sounds nice,but is it open?
Anyone done the Trolley Roger in Grand Cayman?thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Dont know anything about Montego Bay,other than it got bad reviews,thats why I booked with the Grand instead of the Conquest...a lot of ppl didnt think it was safe..others said they didnt have a problem.

Paradise Beach IS open. A lot of ppl do the swim with sting rays in GC.Im doing a underwater sub/with optional snorkle/feeding of the fish.I wish stay inside and hubby with get out and snorkle/feed the fish!

I have a feeling with the tendering problems in Coz and GC,it would be best to book some type of excursion thru Carnival that would get you off the ship early.Booking a private excursion is going to be tricky!

Check under Cozumel and Grand Cayman and see what others suggest! Dot
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Admiral

a swim with the Sting Rays is a must-do in Grand Caymen - book with an independant tour operator - we love Captain Marvin.
Not sure what is up and running in Cozumel - check with Carnival, i would book a ship's excursion just because things aren't back to normal regarding transportation.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Passenger

I agree with lisak Captian Marvin is the best.. Had a wonderful time and less money and less people than with the cruise line
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Yeoman

We did the early Stingray Tour with Captain Marvins and it was awesome.
We were there early so the stingrays were eager to visit. We had our encounter with 15 other passengers and 2 guides, while the cruiseship group of 250 were further down the bar. I felt more comfortable in the smaller group. We were back in pleanty of time to do some sightseeing and sampling of the Rum Cakes!

Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04
Valor 4/05
Triumph 2/11/06
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Beginner

Default Conquest

I did the Conquest in Nov '04.

We did an independent Sting Ray excursion, it was within walking distance of the cruise dock. It was awesome!

We rented a car (VW bug manual, it's great!) and found Paradise Beach, not to be confused with San Francisco beach (right next to it). We didn't have to pay to be on Paradise Beach, it had better facilities and great service than San Francisco Beach. It was great! Almost everyone enjoys a stop at Carlos 'n Charlies at the end of the day :)

I regret getting off the ship in Montego Bay. I hate to make it sound bad because the people of the island really need the tourism to survive, but we were just hassled the entire time. If anything take a taxi (only except a JUTA driven) directly to Doctor's Cave Beach, you pay to get into the beach area but it's nice facilities and safe, then take a JUTA taxi straight back to the ship.

Be careful of the first day of cruising on the Conquest, being in the Gulf can be "wavy" and a lot of people didn't leave their room the first day. A recommendation would be to take some meds before the ship leaves the dock, the meds wouldn't work once you're moving and it could be miserable at first. Better safe than not enjoying yourself on vacation :-)
Old February 22nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
First Mate

We loved our Captain Bryan's Buccaneer Stingray City excursion. The timing of this excursion was perfect because it left at 10:30 for a 3 hour, 3 stop excursion. We even got a DVD of our excursion that is great!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Beginner

we have went on a few beach excursions, if that's what your into. We only go to places that are all inclusive. They are around $30-40 per person. Some offer food and water sports stuff. Some offer just the beach stuff and open bar. The open bar alone is worth $40 to me! I'll post some links to some off the ones we have been to.

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...BeachBreak.htm

I believe that this is where Carnival Shore Excursions takes you. We were here in Sept. 05 and had a great time. Plenty of cold beer and drinks. Lots to do in the water for free. Great "Beach Guys", good service.
I don't know what Carnival Charges for this place, you might be better off doing it on your own. The downside of that it you have to add cab fare. Also, the Fiesta Party Boat pulls in here for lunch.
[url]http://www.cancunvista.com/cozumel_tours_shore_excursions/playamia.htm
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Hi there, Yes I agree, san francisco beach and paradise are first class....for good value excursions check out cozumelwatersports.com, I heard they are on the island and know it well...