Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Passenger

Default Belize-mosquito bite horror

Just a heads up- in Nov. while cave tubeing and hiking through the jungle, we were getting bitten by mosquitoes. One of the bites on my back turned into a painful lump with a small hole in it. After being misdiagnosed
by three health professionals, and waiting to see a fourth, it turns out the mosquito was carrying a Bot Fly egg or two and deposited them in my back. yesterday, I "gave birth" to a half inch long, quarter inch larva
that had finished it's gestation period. It has been a totally disgusting ordeal, and there is still another one inside my back. Hope this helps anyone helps anyone who gets bitten and has the same reation.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to sounder

I think I am going to throw up!
Old January 22nd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Beginner

My friend that was indeed a Mot fly and not a mosquito. There are basically two kinds of this type of fly. Fruit fly are those that lay their eggs in fruits like oranges and mangoes and those who affect any animals and humans like those you encountered. Remember when you are hiking in the rain forest in Belize to do the cave tubing or any other adventure wear a "T-shirt" to cover exposed skin or put on some repellant to prevent insect bites. As a tour guide I usually ask my guests that are planning to go into the rain forest who are sensitive to insect bites to bring along their anti-histamine injections for it may save your life.

Best regards;
Colin
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
First Mate

or a Bot fly.

Still, it is very gross. I am so sorry this happened to you!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100