Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Two recently enjoyed excursions were:

Panama: MSC Cruises shore excursion: Partial transit of the canal by ferry.

St. Thomas: Private sailboat charter for a day sail to St. John for sailing, snorkeling, and dining. Wonderful day spent aboard the Nightwind with Captain Steve.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Default Eagle Ray Divers

So far, my favorite excursion was with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. They took us out for a three reef snorkel and lunch and it was fantastic. The reefs were gorgeous, the weather was perfect, the guides were knowledgeable and very friendly. Lunch was this litt,le out of the way resort and was excellent.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Beginner

The Cozumel Powerboat and beach tour with cozumelwatersports was definitely the highlight and the best tour in the Caribbean. This was an awesome cruise excursion in Cozumel and we would definitley recommend it to everyone. Thanks to Adrian and Marco the cozumel tour guides, who did an extra job on this one...great speed boats!!
thefam
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Passenger

hands down: phil lafayette in ocho rios jamaica. he was FANTASTIC. you can find him by doing a simple google search.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Matinique tour to botanical gardens, ancient church, volvano museum and rum factory.
This is the Excursion I wanted but Carnival does not do this port anymore.
I am very disappointed

Michelle

Old June 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

We were on HAL, but sorry to hear that Carnival doesn't go there. One reason might be that it has the highest crime rate of any place in the Caribbean. We still loved it, but definitely went for ship's tours there.
Marty
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I loved:
Swimming with Stingrays in Grand Cayman (<----probably my favorite ever)
Playing with baby sea turtles at the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman
Swimming with the Dolphin in Honduras
Any beach-Belize, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen
Any snorkeling adventure

I liked:
The Island Tour in St. Maarten
The Castaway Girl Catamaran snorkel in St. Thomas
The Sea Trek in Cozumel

I wish I had done:
The Bacardi Rum Factory in San Juan
Visited St. John
Paradise Point in St. Thomas
Blackbeard's Castle
Magen's Bay
Paradise Isand/Atlantis Hotel/Straw Market in Nassau

There are just not enough hours in the day....and oh darn-just more reason for me to go back!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Beginner

My top excursions have to be, in no particular order...

Mayan Ruins at Xunantunich (Belize) - A really authentic, historical experience. I climbed half way up the tallest ruin there, and DH went all the way up. Climbing all the way up isn't for everyone, since the steps are pretty narrow.

Dolphin Encounter (Roatan) - The day we were in port, it was raining. Everybody's beach day was pretty much washed out...but we had a fantastic time with the dolphins. DH was rather skeptical at first...but he couldn't stop talking about it afterward!

River Tubing (Ocho Rios) - A little chilly when you first get in the water...but these guides are loads of fun, and the nature you see while floating down the river is really beautiful. There are some rapids, too...and they snap your photo from the shoreline while you pass by. A fun adventure.

Helicopter Tour (Kauai) - Lush, tropical island. Fantastic views. And from a helicopter. Can't miss it.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

Regatta in St. Maarten
Horseback riding on Half Moon Cay
Baths at Virgin Gorda
Parasailing in St. Thomas
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to starpro

CoCo Cay was amazing because it was intimate and not crowded like most ports. I relaxed on the beach with my daughter and laid in a hammock most of the day.

Dunn River Falls - Jamaica: Excellent trip!!! Most beautiful falls I've ever seen.

Sunken Ship Snorkeling - Barbados: Best ever snorkeling! The fish and sunken ships were the best ever. Tour guides so accomodating! Plus the white sand is so soft compared to other islands.

Off Road Adventure - Costa Rica: Loved this because you saw places most people don't get to go. Banana plantations, local living, animals it was excellent.

Panama: Honestly I didn't like this place! It was the only place I've ever went that had armed guards when you get off the boat. Not so great.

Submarine - St. Thomas: This was expensive but it was worth doing once. I wouldn't do it again, but great for kids.

I have so many favorites! I'll be happy to share any experience at starpro1@msn.com
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Favorite Excursion

My two favorite excursions were in Jamaica, we hired a local named Peat Taylor who took us to the Dunn Falls and then down a lazy river tube ride. We had a great time on the tube ride. Also in Alaska--Denali Park, we river raft. It was a great time.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default Our favorite

Two of them--One in Jamaica--A local named Peat Taylor gave us a tour of the DUnn's Falls and a lazy river tube ride. We had a great time tubing. In Denali Park, Alaska, we river raft and saw many Eagles and so on. Had a wonderful experience.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

All the excursions we've done are great of course but a few of my favorites.........

Helicoptor to Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau, AK
Salmon Fishing in Ketchikan, AK
White Pass Railway in Skagway, AK
Helicoptor to volcano in Hilo, HI
Fern River Grotto in HI
Rafting down the Martha Brae River on bamboo rafts in Jamaica
Passion Island in Cozumel
Cave tubing in Belize
Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya
Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman
Mini Jeep tour in Cozumel
Fanning Island in the South Pacific
...and some others

Ahhhhhh the memories

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Dog Sledding in Alaska so much fun. Cute puppies there to.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Great topic Kuki! One excursion always stands out in our minds. The spring before Katrina hit, we did an add on in New Orleans before our cruise. We booked an airboat ride to go through the swamps. When we got there, the group boats were already on a tour so we were offered a private tour on a small airboat. We jumped at it! Our swamp boy was the best - he was fearless! He took us back in places the bigger boats could not go. He caught so many alligators and brought them back on the boat for us to hold. Even though it is not allowed, he even took us back in the protected areas where all the cypress trees are and shut off the motor and we just drifted. It was the most peaceful thing I ever experienced. Beautiful and eerie at the same time. I remember thinking at the time that I felt as far away from ordinary life as you could possibly get. That is what a vacation is all about. Never will forget that tour.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Victory 2012
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival LIberty 2008
Carnival Glory 2006
RCCL Grandeur Of the Seas 2005
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2003
Carnival Destiny 2003
Carnival Fascination 2001
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Passenger

The sting rays in Grand Cayman with Captian Marvins tour company. The ship also had tours but Captain Marvins had a great reputation. Their tour also took you to two other snorkling places and it was cheaper. It was the highlight of our trip.
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Passenger

My favorite was 'Imperial Rome' via Celebrity Century. Simply fantastic!
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Passenger

Default FAVORITE EXCURSIONS

MY THREE FAVORITE EXCURSIONS WERE SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS IN TORTOLA, THE CAVES ON BERMUDA,AND MOSTLY THE MAYAN RUINS IN BELIZE, THE NEW RIVER ONES. I AM A HISTORY JUNKY AND TO SEE AND CLIMB A MAYAN PYRAMID WAS FANTASTIC.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Passenger

I had the bright and delusional idea that I was fit enough to do the bicycle adventure in Ocho Rios. I knew I shoud'nt have had that third sweet roll that morning There were only nine of us from Mariner(my wiser traveling buddy chose to go horseback riding). They took us up the mountain 2000 feet and it was glorious soaring downhill past homes and the village of st anne. I loved stopping at a little school where the kids came streaming out and gave lots of hugs and were so excited about getting their pictures taken! Then came some of the uphill climbs where I thought I was going to die I could barely breath. At the end they took us to a beautiful cove where we could swim and snorkle and recover with rum punchs I will never forget this one and it was a definte highlight for me.----- On a past cruise I went to Trunk Bay on ST John and can't wait to get back there this Oct.
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Yeoman

Hands down, it would have to be The Baths, Virgin Gorda. The size of the boulders can't be realized until your actually there. I felt like a kid again climbing all in and around them. I actually lost my son in there (he was 16), and almost missed the bus back. When I found him he was taking pictures of a couple of teenage girls from Sweden. Go figure!! Anyway the water is also some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. There were small private and charter sailboats parked all over, it was like a huge community pool with people swimming everywhere. What a blast!!!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Hands down the best excursion we have ever experienced was to Prickly Pear Island off the coast of Antigua. The island is small and only accommodates a certain amount of people. A short bus trip drops you off on a beach and you have to wade into the water to climb aboard a small motor launch that takes you to the island. They have lounge chairs and umbrellas set up on the island and rum punch (also very rustic restrooms). You could snorkel with a group around the island or just relax on the beautiful beach...my grandson found a beautiful starfish not far from the beach. The islanders were diving for conch, got those huge conchs out of their shells and sliced it up for everyone to try raw with some lime. It was the best excursion ever.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Captain

Default Grand Turk

Grand Turk, The Stingray Excursion was great. I would suggest it, even if you don't snorkel, just stay on the boat and wait until you go to the beach. Thats where you will interact with the Stingrays. A+

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

When I posted before I had yet to go to Europe/Mediterranean.

My favorites now are

~Anything to do with/in/around Greece
~Imperial Rome through Royal (we really wanted to do the huge one in Rome but it sold out)
~Florence/Pisa together through Royal

I still love/like all mentioned before in the Caribbean, but there is nothing that compares to the Mediterranean
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Yeoman

Alright! Rub it in!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old January 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Alright! Rub it in!
and should that cruise happen in October, I'll get to rub part of it in twice!!!
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Alright! Rub it in!
and should that cruise happen in October, I'll get to rub part of it in twice!!!
Not if I make it onboard too!

Then we'll bot have bragging rights.

And so as not to hijack this thread I also loved the Helicopter into the Grand Canyon. Not really a cruise shore excursion but still worth mentioning.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:10 AM
Familiar Face

CocoCay is awesome! Just lounging around in the hammocks listening to the waves is wonderful!

In San Juan, PR, we went to the Bacardi factory independently. RCCL was charging around $70 pp for this tour. We walked around in old San Juan, got on the water taxi for 50 cents pp, then got a cab for $2 pp to the Bacardi factory. The tour itself is free, and you get 2 or 3 free drinks! So we got this excursion for less than $10.

There is another Puerto Rican Rum factory in Old San Juan. Can't remember what it's called, but it's in Old San Juan next to the water taxi terminal. It is also free, with free drinks!

We dubbed San Juan the "Get Drunk for Free Capitol of the World"

Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Admiral

Wouldn't be the Captain Morgan factory would it? I know they are based in Puerto Rico somewhere too. "Got a little Captain in you!" Lol.

Has anyone ever scuba dived in St. Thomas? Also has anyone booked anything through legendsofpr.com and shoretrips.com?
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Admiral

Nope, was wrong. Captain Morgan is located in Connecticut.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Hands down the best excursion we have ever experienced was to Prickly Pear Island off the coast of Antigua. The island is small and only accommodates a certain amount of people. A short bus trip drops you off on a beach and you have to wade into the water to climb aboard a small motor launch that takes you to the island. They have lounge chairs and umbrellas set up on the island and rum punch (also very rustic restrooms). You could snorkel with a group around the island or just relax on the beautiful beach...my grandson found a beautiful starfish not far from the beach. The islanders were diving for conch, got those huge conchs out of their shells and sliced it up for everyone to try raw with some lime. It was the best excursion ever.
OMG, you are soooo right. That was our favorite on our last cruise (March 2009) It was so nice not to have to fight crowds of people and I tried snorkeling for the first time... I did OK, with practice I will be better.. Everyone was so nice and accommodating on that island.. Julia our tour guide was really nice.. The food was just OK to me but most loved it and of course the Rum punches were good... Strong but good. Hated to leave the island and hubby actually bought a shirt that says "Prickly Pear Island". We will definately do that again if the ship stops there... shhhh......... maybe we shouldn't tell everyone how great it was... oh, almost forgot, saw a mama and baby whale jumping way out. You could see their tails.... Best place on the whole cruise!!!!!