Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Banned
Familiar Face

Default Grand Cayman ..NO turtles, NO stingrays? beach pass, or ?

Hi to all...

I know...I know..the stingrays are great...but honestly I am NOT interested in them <grin> I hate to say it but I am simply NOT into snorkeling

I thought about the "tours">>> Hell might be nice to send a postcard, but I do NOT want to go to the turtle farm, knowing they are going to be eaten would make me sick, and I dont like to see cruelty to animals, so that would ruin my day Ok I am weird<grin>

I also thought of the "semi submersable">> ? but ? is it comfortable, fun, or boring and hot and crowded?

Is there ANYTHING to do on the "tour" when they are at the turtle farm besides go in there and see the turtles? some shops or restaurants? (an internet cafe would be nice ) Can you go and not go in? something to do there??

I am more of a girly girl, and I am going on this cruise as a "single" and I honestly would not enjoy seeing turtles being farmed or having fish on me

I am thinking of>>>? maybe a tour?

maybe a "day pass" at the hyatt? but how high are the drinks and food there? I hear outrageous things here

maybe trying to see if I can book a spa treatment at a resort and then use the resort itself? Has anyone used the spa at the hyatt, or at the comfort suites?
any place in cayman for a massage at the beach??
any local "on and off" type trolley deals that might "go to hell" (I am thinking like key west?)
The island seems safe and I am not afraid , at jamaica I plan a sail to the falls trip so i dont want to be on another boat here

I realize that many people will NOT agree with me, and say to do the usual tourist stuff, but I am on the cruise FOR ME <grin>
to be honest with you I have cruised before, with my ex, and with girlfriends...my best "excursions" have been to morningstar beach to rent a chair and sit at beach bar...and to a "party beach" in mexico with chairs and cheap massages...
shopping is fun too <grin>

I dont want to do just "tourist" stuff cause I also have done some of that before and i do NOT enjoy being on buses, vans, jitneys, riding around, dont like fish much, I live in south florida and if I wanted to see butterfly world it is right near me, plus some tourist attractions here in florida are my own idea of "hell">>> I dont like the real hokey stuff, for instance our "Jungle Queen" ?? ewww

so i like to chill, try a local food, get a spa treatment cheaper than on ship maybe ....any ideas??
thanks in advance

Cheri
Imagination...5/8-5/13...Grand Cayman/Ochos Rios
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Hi Cheri,

Unless I've missed something the turtles at the Turtle Farm are NOT raised for eating! They're trying to reintroduce the turtles to their natural habitat. There is a very nice shop there.

You don't have to snorkel to swim with the sting rays. All you have to do is stand there and they'll come to you!

"Hell" is someplace you'll want to go once, but probably never again. It has some rock formations that are interesting, but not anything that looks like the advertising!

After re-reading your post, honestly, I think maybe you'd enjoy an all inclusive land vacation instead of a cruise. You could veg out on the beach and enjoy massages, etc.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Sounds to me like a day on the ship might be your best option. Usually the spas on the ship have port day specials and since most everyone else will be on the island, you could have a very nice, peaceful, relaxing day to yourself. Plus, then you wouldn't have to deal with the nightmare that is the tender for Grand Cayman!

Have a great time whatever you do!
Old March 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Passenger

I will be in Grand Cayman AGAIN. I agree with the NIGHTMARE of the tenders. Unless I have "ship fever," I will not get off the boat. It might be a good idea for you too. The ship is usually quiet and relaxing.

I have done the stingrays and that was fun. You can go there and not get your hair wet. It was a great day. We made many friends that day because the experience is so unique, yet everyones reaction was so different and funny. We laughed all day. I was glad I did it.

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Courious??? What do you mean by the "tender nightmare" in Grand Cayman? I will be there in June. What should I expect?
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Hi Laura S,

DO NOT PANIC ! The only time the tenders are a "nightmare" is if you don't book a shore excursion through the ship and still try to get off the ship early. If you book an excursion through the ship you'll be told where to meet to board the tender and board in comfort.

If you don't have a ship's excursion planned wait until the shore excursion people are off. We usually wait until about 10:00 AM and get right on the tender.

You should be aware that Grand Cayman (from what I've read on these boards) is one of the most often missed ports because of "unfriendly" seas. We've missed it in one of four cruises .

IMO, Grand Cayman is beautiful, and I wouldn't miss going ashore there!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Fern,
I think maybe I should panic? I have booked a stingray city tour through Capt. Bryans, not through the ship!! Should I worry????? We have to meet the the tour company at 10:00 for a 10:30 excursion. Do you think this is doable? The tour company said it should be "no problem". I guess my biggest concern should first be if we will get to stop at Grand Cayman in case of weather issues!! Thanks, Laura
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Hi Laura S,

Once again, DO NOT PANIC ! I don't think you'll have any problem getting off the ship at 9:30 or 10:00.

If Capt. Bryans says "no problem", I'd believe them. They do this almost every day!

If you're not able to tender into Grand Cayman you shouldn't be charged for your excursion. The tour companies are very familiar with people not being able to tender.

You sound like a "planner" like I am. My DH just asks where to be and when and that's all he wants to know! It drives me nuts!

Have a great cruise and DO NOT PANIC!

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Passenger

Fern,
Thanks for your confidence. Yes, I am definately a planner and have been driving my hubby and family crazy with all this cruise stuff. We are cruising in June for my parents 50th with my entire family (25 of us) so we definately need to plan, plan, plan. I will try not to panic!
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Lara - hint, hint - pay attention to the ships paper and listen to the announcements of when and where the tender tickets will be distributed on the ship, get there, get in line get an early tender ticket and you will have no problems meeting your excursion.

Cheri - you do not have to snorkel with rays if you don't want to, you can just stand in the water and they will swim all around you. The turtles raised on the turtle farm do not enter food chain for human consumption.
If you just want to veg out at the beach, just grab a cab to 7 mile beach, its a public beach, you can use the hotel's facilites for a fee if you wish.
Check out spa specials on the ship- that might be best for what you are looking for.
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Passenger

We were there in Feb/06 and enjoyed it immensely......beautiful island.....the tenders were very quick........no waiting at all......I just added it to my list of cruise experiences and memories......we went on a short tour for $20 and shopped.....shopping is AWESOME......stopped at Hammerhead Bar for a few Corona's......met some neat people there...all in all a great time was had!!!
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Hi Laura S,

Your DH and all the rest of your family will be thrilled that you are the "planner"! Everything will go so smoothly they'll think you have "inside" information. And you do, by coming here!

Congratulations on your parents 50th anniversary (been there, LOVED that!). I'm sure you will all have a wonderful time.

My only suggestion is that you not "overplan" for everyone. Let everyone do their own thing during the day. As I'm sure you know, 25 people are not going to want to do the same things. Plan to meet for dinner to hear what a great day everyone had!

Please be sure to post a review of your cruise for others who will be doing the "family reunion" thing!

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Fern,
We have already decided that everyone will kind of do their own thing during the day and meet for dinner to talk about our day at night. It would be a nightmare to try and plan for all of us! Since you have already celebrated your 50th (your 50th or your parents????) do you have any suggestions for me on how to make this special for my parents? We are planning a little party on board, but since it only a small group our TA told us to wait until we get on board and then find a bar that we like and set up a little reception one evening. Any other ideas. By the way, Cruisemates has been so much help and fun while we have been planning this. I love the fact that you can throw a question out; and you get a variety of answers!!!
Take care,
Laura
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Hi Laura,

It was my parent's 50th; we're just coming up on #24!

Most cruise lines offer an anniversary package (decorated cabin, balloons, etc.), but this is all I could come up with on the Mariner website:

Quote:
"Do you offer Special Occasion Cakes?
Royal Caribbean offers Birthday, Anniversary and Special Occasion Cakes fleet wide for a nominal fee of $7.95 USD.

There are two types of cakes available: Chocolate sponge cake with chocolate butter cream or Vanilla sponge cake with vanilla butter cream, both are decorated with flowers on the left side of the cake. These cakes are 6" round and serve 2-10 people. The name (or names) will be written on the cake with a candle placed on top. A minimum of 6 hours advance notice is required. All cakes that are ordered by 12 noon will be served that evening in the main dining room.

The cake will be charged to your Seapass card or credit card upon request at time of ordering the cake onboard the ship.

If you do not wish to purchase a cake, inform your waiter of the special occasion and a "slice of cake" will be provided for the birthday, anniversary or special event. This slice of cake, provided in our main dining room, will be based on the daily cake offerings for that evening. This will serve one person and there is no additional charge. There will be a "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" placquered on top of the slice of cake. "
It doesn't seem like much to me! I'd certainly let the staff (purser's desk and dining room staff) know that it's your parent's 50th anniversary. I could be wrong, but I would think they'll do something special for you, or at the least help you set things up.

I've never sailed on RCL, but if they have the "New Newlywed Game" or something similar and your parents are outgoing people, be sure not to miss it! They often choose the "married the longest couple" (they may qualify) to participate! It's lots of fun, but a little risqué !

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Beginner

Default The Turtles are eatern

from the turtles farm website

What do you do with all those turtles?
About 60% of each year's hatchlings are raised to 3 - 4 years of age to be processed for food that is sold locally (a national delicacy). Out of these, 1 to 2% are kept to become future breeders instead of food. The remaining 40% are released into the ocean when they are around one year old. This "headstarting" gives the turtles a better chance of survival.

enjoy tasty turtles

Actually i live in Cayman and have never eatern tutle please do not buy any turtle shells/products they are not alloud to be taken into usa canada any Eu country (inc UK) and lots more
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

thank you for clearing that up. I did not know that some of the turtles were raised for consumption, like you said, after all it is a farm, not unlike a chicken or cattle farm back in the US.