Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Default Montego Bay

Just booked my next cruise on the Conquest. I realize that this is a dangerous port, but would like to book a tour on my own. Any suggestions as to tour operators? I will have the in-laws with me so it needs to be low impact.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Beginner

I'm booked on the Conquest this year and have also been researching non-ship shore excursions. Two for Jamaica I have found that have good reputations on other boards, as well as here I think, are Barrett Adventures
www.barrettadventures.com

and A-Z Jamaica
a-zjamaicaplanners.com

But I have no first hand experience with their service yet except to say that Barrett has been quick to reply to email questions.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I would not personally consider Montego Bay "a dangerous port". Like any city it has problems and has crime areas, stay away from those areas, tour smart use either ships tours or reputable tour operators and you will discover that Jamaica is a gorgeous island.
Peat Taylor is very reputable, i don't know if he tours out of Montego Bay - i know he books out of Ocho Rios - go to his website same as his name.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Montego Bay

We were on the Conquest to these ports in January. As 55+ year olds, we were also looking for something "low impact" and found the Martha Brae Rafting excursion. The bus ride was a little bumpy but we did enjoy the raft ride. It was very pleasant and relaxing. We bought some hand carved gourd vases from our raft guide.

I don't believe we would have been comfortable there on our own if we had not booked an excursion. The bus went downtown afterwards and we were so uncomfortable there, that we went back to the bus to wait.

We did some shopping at the terminal when we docked in Montego Bay. There were several reasonably priced shops inside and we felt very safe there. We did go through the terminal and armed guards to some of the shops outside and quickly returned to the terminal. We felt very threatened in that environment. Maybe we took a little too much caution, but did not want to take chances.

Just have fun.