Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Default Havensight Mall (St. Thomas) and the pier

Does anyone know how long it takes to walk from the pier to the Havensight Mall in St. Thomas?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Assuming the boat is at the dock near Havensite, the walk is approximately 5 mins. There were also free shuttles from the ship if the walking is too hot.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Thanks and that sounds great.

Is it worthwhile to venture into the downtown area in St. Thomas? Should I just stay near the pier and shop?

thanks
Old June 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Havensight is right off of the pier. If I wanted to shop, I would start downtown and then work my way back to the pier (Havensight) at the end of the day. I don't think that there are enough shops at Havensight to keep you busy all day.

Also, with this gorgeous island, why don't you take a tour in the morning and then shop in the afternoon?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Passenger

How much does it cost to go downtown per person? I am thinking to go to either Trunk Bay or Coki Beach in the morning and then do some shopping in the afternoon.

Can you take a bus to downtown from the pier?

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
First Mate

I don't know if you would have time to do Trunk Bay and then shopping downtown. You would have time to shop on the pier.

I bet you can catch the local bus down past the tram. That is where it dropped us off.

Here is a site for the taxi rates: http://vinow.com/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

www.vinow.com has a wealth of information on that island and near islands.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Old June 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

we have also found that there are more local vendors downtown. IF you are looking for a larger selection of local crafts and artifacts then shop downtown.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Do you know how much it costs to take a cab to downtown from the pier? How long does it take?

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:19 PM
First Mate

Check my link above for taxi rates. It is cheap to get downtown. It doesn't take long to get there at all. It has been a couple of years since we went downtown, but I think it was under 15 min.
Mark Twain