Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Default HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS TOUR?

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THE "CRUISE TO DUNN'S RIVER FALLS" OFFERED BY CELEBRITY? WE HAVE A DAUGHTER WITH DOWN SYNDROME, SO WE WON'T BE "DOING" THE FALLS, BUT MY HUSBAND MIGHT. I STILL THINK THAT IT'S IMPORTANT TO SEE THEM,I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE THE BEST WAY.
WHAT DO YA'LL THINK?
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Dunn's Falls is very picturesque. There are stairs that run up and down next to the falls. So, you can actually walk along and watch your husband climb the falls.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Dunn's River is pretty but you can also consider perhaps taking a bamboo raft down the Martha Brae River. The local paddle the raft for you, just sit back and enjoy the views!
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Beginner

my wife and I along with my 16 yr old daughter and 14 yr old son did dunns river falls last august and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We climbed up 2/3 of Dunn's River Falls on our W. Carib cruise in Jan. '03. (An RCI tour) It was fun, but my bad knee couldn't go the distance. Having the stairs along the way was great because we could exit from the gates anytime. This is in Ocho Rios.
We did a very relaxing float on a bamboo raft down the Martha Brae river, but that was in Montego Bay. It would be a much longer trip if you had to go there from Ocho Rios. I don't know if that is offered from Ocho. Every cruiseline has different excursions, so check the list.
Even if you don't climb the falls you would enjoy seeing them and walking alongside.
If your DH decided to climb, make sure he is prepared with swim suit, towel and water shoes. Don't laugh at this basic list that would seem obvious to most people. There was a couple on our tour who expressed surprise when they found out they would get wet. All I could think was, "HELLO! It's a WATERFALL!" They went in their street clothes anyway and rented water shoes at the site.
Take a camera. We had a waterproof camera. Our guide held all the cameras and took pics with them so we could concentrate on holding on to our neighbors. We held the hands of the person in front and behind for support and boosting--very hard to take pics ourselves. But if you are on the sidelines you can be the photographer.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Admiral

if your daughter is mobile there really isn't any reason why she couldn't experience some of the falls, most of the climb is fairly easy, yes there are some tricky spots, but there are also outways all along the way where she could exit the falls and just watch from the sidelines.
Old October 13th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Don't miss it for it will be one of the highlights on your trip. It's beautiful, great for picture taking and a true wonder. If your daughter can walk confidently then she can do it, it's pretty easy and for a couple of dollars you can get someone to go up with you for extra help. You can go as slow as you like they don't hurry you. ENJOY...
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Beginner

I would highly recmond Dunns River Fall. The market after is scary. Just say no thanks and don't stop keep walking. The locals are very, very, very very pushy.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Seabeacon

I have never been there but I have been told DRF is not to be missed.
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

Yes I agree, how old is your daugher? She go up a little ways then make your way back down. This is what my husband did, as he is physically not able to do the fall due to a car accident 8 years ago. He went up the first pile of rocks and I took his pic. Then we went up the stairs....let me tell ya TAKE YOUR TIME!! The stairs go on forever and we were so pooped by the time we got to the top.
IMO, stir clear of the market, it is a maze and the are EXTREMELY agressive there. My husband was pulled in one direction and me in the other. I was not impressed. ya, you can say I will never go back there again. But the falls were nice.
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

In Jamaica, always keep your sense of humor handy. They respond really well to that. Annoyance at pushy vendors just makes them pushier, but a joke works wonders. I have spent a lot of time there. And, while it can be a tad rough, good common sense, some street smarts, and a smile can turn it into a lovely adventure.
Marty