Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Beginner

Default Best snorkel excursions for MoBay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel?

Hi, All!

We'll be stopping in Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel and would like to snorkel somewhere, though not necessarily in all three locations. I know I read that Cozumel snorkeling had suffered a bit due to last year's hurricanes, and was wondering if anyone could give some insight as to the best places to snorkel on these three islands. We're relative beginners, so would probably prefer a beach entrance over a boat entrance. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi,
I know before the hurricanes, Cozumel was a great place to snorkel, I'd check into that. I'd also recommend snorkeling with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, its awesome!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with Donna. Cozumel was a great place to snorkel. Not sure if the reefs are fully recovered. To truly appreciate the marine life in Cozumel you need to get to the reefs via boat. Its very easy swimming, actually you don't have to swim at all! you will have on a life vest, there is a divemaster with you at all times, and the current gently pushes you along.
Grand Cayman - Stings Rays are a must do. Most excursions have two stops, one in deeper water for snorkeling, and one at the sandbar, where you can stand in the water and interact with the rays.
Jamaica - didn't find the snorkeling very good, not a lot of marine life to see, actually i got cut and scraped up pretty badly as the coral just juts up from the ocean floor.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would go with Grand Cayman and use Captain Marvins.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

We used them a few years ago and it was absolutely the best excursion! We booked it on our own and saved a ton of money and we only had many 14 people on board compared to the 75-100 on the boats excursion to the same place. As we were leaving they were just getting there and I was shocked at how many people were on the excursion
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Snorkel

We have snorkeled both at Grand Cayman Island and Cozumel. I agree with the others - the Grand Cayman Stingray snorkel tour is a great deal of fun.
If you are looking for a low keyed snorkel experience on Cozumel, I would suggest that you grab a taxi and head to a beach and club called Dzul Ha. We have gone there many times, and I assume it is still in operation after the hurricane. For the price of a couple of soft drinks, you can hang out there for hours and go snorkeling. Many tour groups arrive and quickly leave from that area - so the snorkeling is pretty good. There are lockers if you are worried about your valuables. I assume they rent snorkel grear - but as we bring our own - I am not sure of that. I would assume you have your own, and if you don't, it is highly recommended that you purchase your own gear. A small investment in snorkel equipment will enhance your experience. Have a great time and let us know how it all turns out!
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
cozumelcruising

Anyone interested in snorkeling in Cozumel...well honestly the reefs closer to shore and shallow, were hit very badly by hurricane Wilma. However, the other a little deeper reefs and certain shallow reefs are still absolutely worldclass. ***edited to remove advertising***

Dan
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions!

We're definitely going to do the Stingray City Tour. I'll let you know if we find any reefs worth exploring in Cozumel!

Thanks again!