Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Beginner

Default What's the latest on Channunkaab National Park?

Can anyone please tell me what's up with Channunkaab National Park in Coz? I was there several years ago and loved it there but I am hearing mixed reviews on the place. My family will be there on Jan 8th and I wanted to take them there to snorkel. Is it worth it? Please I need some current info!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I would love some info also, we will be there Jan 07!!! Thanks. Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Beginner

We were at Chankanaab in July. The park had recently re-opened. We had never been before and were there only a short time but loved it. We ate there (nothing to rave about) and snorkeled. The snorkeling was fine for us beginners. It was a $10 taxi ride to the park and if you return after 4pm they charge $20 to get back regardless of how many you stuff in the cab. As far as being able to kick back and relax and do some snorkeling I recommend it even though it is not back in high gear yet (or was not as of July). I would go again in a heartbeat but on our Dec 16th cruise out of Houston when we get to Cozumel we are going to Xel-Ha this time just to try somewhere else and learn more about the area. I think that is the correct port for Xel-Ha.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Default We were just there

THe park was devistated from Katrina. Beach and dolphin swim along with restaurant and dive shops reopened. You cannot walk through park, they shuttle you on a truck. There is very little vegitation on beach, new plants, trees looked like they were chewed on. They have done great job with restoration. As far as snorkeling goes, alot alot of sand has covered everything up. Brain coral is starting to come back to life. Still fish out there. Along the barrier reef the damage was not as bad as it was close to the coast. They had rain for 72 hours and alot of stuff went into water and killed the coral. WE were there 10/27/06. So I guess this is a good update 8)
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies. We are still trying to decide where to go when in Coz in Janurary. Any other sugestions for places like this park?
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Beginner

i'll be there jan. 2. Are other attractions destroyed? What elst to do?