Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel: scuba & snorkeling

My husband wants to scuba dive but I just want to snorkle. Is there a god way to combine these? Have any of you done this? What tour company did you use?
Thanks,
Tammy
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default added info

I should add that my husband has only had one intro lesson.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Passenger

The dive shop here recommended Palancar Gardens & Chankanaab.
Tammy
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Tammy, i am a bit confused here, sounds like your husband is not a certified SCUBA diver, if that is the case he can either take the course on the ship and become PADI certified or he needs to take a tour that offers resort certification. He cannot just go SCUBA diving. Go to your cruise lines web site and search under SCUBA/SNORKEL excursions.
Palencaar Reef in Cozumel is a great place to snorkel.
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Passenger

Yes we know the "resort course" will be required. The question is, can anyone recommend a particular company that offers diving and snorkeling on the same boat at the same time.
Old January 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Passenger

not sure about same boat/same time but some discover scuba excursions are offered through shoretrips (google that plus your port of call)
CCL Sensation 5/16/1999 Western Caribbean
ROC Oceanic 4/1997
BRB/Disney 1995
Old January 18th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Tammy, another great resourse for information is www.cozumelinsider.com
I know that a lot of the excursions are either SCUBA or snorkel, but it is probably possible for you to snorkel while your DH is diving, ask before you book the excursion.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cozumel: scuba & snorkeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistammy
My husband wants to scuba dive but I just want to snorkle. Is there a god way to combine these? Have any of you done this? What tour company did you use?
Thanks,
Tammy
I highly recommend Eagle Ray Divers. www.eagleraydivers.com

We used them in 2003 and they were fabulous. They did both the scuba and snorkel at the same time. You will have to email Chellie and ask if they will allow your husband to scuba since he isn't certified. If they will do it, though, they really are a great company.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Admiral

No way - get him certified or have him dive with an intro to scuba class.

PADI Divemaster / SSI DiveCon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meig
[You will have to email Chellie and ask if they will allow your husband to scuba since he isn't certified. If they will do it, though, they really are a great company.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Most large dive boats will accomodate a non-diver (i.e. snorkeler/boat rider) at a reduced cost. NO reputable dive operator will allow an uncertified diver on a certified Open Water dive trip. A two tank boat divefor certified open water divers will usually go to two different reefs or walls, one at around 60 feet (too deep for a snorkeler to see anything) and a shallower dive around 30-40 feet (still really too deep to snorkel).

I don't know that much about the resort courses and intro to scuba classes, but from what I've read, these courses are taught in shallow water at the shore, not a boat. After that portion is done, then some operators will take you on a shallow 30 foot maximum shore dive or possibly from a boat. I would think that you would be able to snorkel in the area where the diver is receiving his instruction, but I wouldn't count on the area being the best place to snorkel-the emphasis being the scuba instruction. Again, if there was a shallow dive included in the resort course, they may allow a snorkel passenger as well, at a reduced cost, IF there was room on the boat.

I have only used dive ops in Coz for certfied dives, so I don't have any recommendations for a dive op for a resort course. Hope this helps!

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster

Quote:
[You will have to email Chellie and ask if they will allow your husband to scuba since he isn't certified. If they will do it, though, they really are a great company.
It never hurts to ask, but I don't think they will either. It was just a suggestion.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Yes, it could hurt if you asked and the answer was yes, we will let you (boat drift) dive uncertified. Have experience with an experienced, certified diver in trouble at 40 feet and you do not want to risk an inexperienced, uncertified diver in trouble at 60 feet. The intro to scuba class would dive shallow, with adequate supervision, and nearer facilities. A great company would never take out uncertified divers on a boat drift dive in Cozumel. Best the D in DH should stand for "dear," not the alternative.

Mermaid, dived Grand Turk yet? If not, put in on your to do list. Scouted it out in December - nice and good snorkeling, too. 8)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
It never hurts to ask, but I don't think they will either. It was just a suggestion.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
A great company would never take out uncertified divers on a boat drift dive in Cozumel. Best the D in DH should stand for "dear," not the alternative.
Eagle Ray *is* a good & responsible company, which means they would not let him do it, then.

If someone is looking for a scuba (certified) and combo snorkel, I recommend them.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Yes. SCUBA looks easy, but every once in a while the ocean will throw you that curve (jellyfish, shark, etc.) and the difference between an certified experienced diver and an uncertified inexperienced one lies in the ability to handle stress and not panic. You can watch my 11 year old kiddo dive and think SCUBA is kid stuff, but the kiddo has 7 specialty cards, primary and secondary first aid certification, and over 50 dives logged. Even then he will spook once in a while, say on a night dive. 8)

For Christmas how about getting DH certified, taking him to Disneyworld and tossing him in one of the world's largest fish tanks (Living Seas Aquarium)? Way cool, even for folks with years of diving, since it has about 3,500 fish and one sea turtle.

Quote:
Quote:
A great company would never take out uncertified divers on a boat drift dive in Cozumel. Best the D in DH should stand for "dear," not the alternative.
Eagle Ray *is* a good & responsible company, which means they would not let him do it, then.

If someone is looking for a scuba (certified) and combo snorkel, I recommend them.