Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Default 8 HRS-Cozumel or Tulum

We will be docked in Cozumel on an upcoming cruse and will be there for 8 hours. We would like to take the tour to Tulum but it is scheduled to take 7-8 hours. We have heard that you would have very little free time if you do the tour... Taking in consideration the time for the ferry, the bus ride there and back; is this tour worth the entire day in this port?
Any information greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Passenger

we did the underground cave tour at that port. it was much more then what was described when we booked it. we got the opportunity to hold baby spider monkeys, do the case tours which were amazing, and then a private beach lunch at this bar/hut type set up with swings instead of chairs....awesome excursion
2007 CELEBRITY MERCURY (ALASKA)
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Passenger

case tours?

and as for tulum... i've done that excursion before and it's a lot of travel time. if i remember correctly most of the areas were roped off so you couldn't explore much. there might have even been an area where flash photography wasn't allowed? (it's possible i might be mixing that up with the british museum lol). i believe we were with the guide for the majority of the time as well.

i had a nice time on the tour but if i did it again i'd rather book a vacation tour package that goes to more ruins and allows more time to soak everything in.
CCL Sensation 5/16/1999 Western Caribbean
ROC Oceanic 4/1997
BRB/Disney 1995
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Passenger

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'll be in Cozumel in June with my two teenagers. We would like to do the Tulum tour, but it looks like you spend around 4 hours travel time and maybe 2 hours at the ruins.

I also considered Xcaret, but most people that I have talked to say that if you don't have a whole day to spend at Xcaret it is a very frustrating experience.

So now we're looking at snorkeling, but I sure would like to see Tulum. I just need someone to tell me that it is a "not to be missed" site and worth the travel time.

kcmom
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Passenger

I've been there and I can't say that it's a "Not to be missed site". Now if you were going to Cozumel for a week I would say that...but for the amount of time given and probably for the cost of the excursion x 4 it's probably not worth it.

(Keep in mind I was an anthropology minor and love archaeology...I just want more time to roam and explore and soak everything in. For some people 2 hours at the site is just fine.)
CCL Sensation 5/16/1999 Western Caribbean
ROC Oceanic 4/1997
BRB/Disney 1995
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Admiral

How about an intro to scuba on Cozumel for the teens or the Atlantis sub trip? BTW, would recommend Chichen Itza or Coba for the teens as more to see and more physical activity... 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmom
I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'll be in Cozumel in June with my two teenagers. We would like to do the Tulum tour, but it looks like you spend around 4 hours travel time and maybe 2 hours at the ruins.

So now we're looking at snorkeling, but I sure would like to see Tulum. I just need someone to tell me that it is a "not to be missed" site and worth the travel time.

kcmom
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

I love Tulum. It's not as much fun as it used to be simply because of the number of tourists and restrictions that resulted from that. (I did climb the pyramid years ago, and am lucky to still be here.) But, a few years ago, I did a tour to Tulum and Xel-Ha, which has good snorkeling and a dolphin ride. Not enough time there, but there never is on a one day stop.
While I also agree with Chichen Itza idea, I would only do that if it was through a cruise ship tour. It is 60 miles inland and roads are tricky. Had a tire blow out on the tour bus once. The cruise ship waits if a cruise tour gets delayed, but not if you do it on your own.
Marty
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Agree that a ship's tour is best for Chichen Itza. BTW, a flight, while expensive, leaves more time than if by bus.

Also, how about parasailing for those teenagers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I love Tulum. It's not as much fun as it used to be simply because of the number of tourists and restrictions that resulted from that. (I did climb the pyramid years ago, and am lucky to still be here.) But, a few years ago, I did a tour to Tulum and Xel-Ha, which has good snorkeling and a dolphin ride. Not enough time there, but there never is on a one day stop.
While I also agree with Chichen Itza idea, I would only do that if it was through a cruise ship tour. It is 60 miles inland and roads are tricky. Had a tire blow out on the tour bus once. The cruise ship waits if a cruise tour gets delayed, but not if you do it on your own.
Marty
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

My sister did Talum, they said you can't climb the pryamids only look at them. So for me that's not worth it, but they do have some awesome photos! They say there is a nice beach right next to them but no where to change so if you want to swim wear your swim suit under your clothes. Im going to Cozumel on my next cruise.Im looking into Punta Sur and Chakaaab ecco parks instead. Google these names for more info. Hope this helps there are also lots of water type excursions through the ship offered such as snuba and the sea helmet treks teenagers would enjoy.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

JFYR, watch for riptides / surf conditions there. Tulum was a fortified city built during a period of turmoil and hence not situatiated for easy approach by land or sea. My diver kiddo remembers the beach for its small coconut tree and crabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
My sister did Talum, they said you can't climb the pryamids only look at them. So for me that's not worth it, but they do have some awesome photos! They say there is a nice beach right next to them but no where to change so if you want to swim wear your swim suit under your clothes. Im going to Cozumel on my next cruise.Im looking into Punta Sur and Chakaaab ecco parks instead. Google these names for more info. Hope this helps there are also lots of water type excursions through the ship offered such as snuba and the sea helmet treks teenagers would enjoy.