Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Default Biodegradable sunscreen

What is biodegradable sunscreen and can you recommend brands and where to purchase?
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe that have some at Trade Joe's - Or Whole Foods. Do you have either of those where you live?

Also here:

http://tinyurl.com/2gfvdr

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
cozumelcruising

If you refer to the type of sunscreen required by some excursion parks in Mexico (Xcaret, Xel-Ha, etc) or else, you can get it at the mentioned places for reasonable price, they do not try to overprice them. Actually, some give you a sample which is even enough for some skin tipes...
Old March 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

biodegradeable sunscreens are friendly to the coral/fish/sealife.All others can kill it/them.If you have a walmart where you live,they make one called No-Ad.It comes in different strengths and wont hurt the sea enviornment. Dot
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Beginner

I looked EVERYWHERE at home to find biodegradable sunscreen as I didn't want to get ripped off on my vacation. I gave up. THEN I came on vacation (actually am there right now!) and found that BANANA BOAT BOTANICALS, has a sticker on it down here that says "Biodegradable" on it, and it's the EXACT same product I bought at Walmart at home. It's called Banana Boat Botanicals, the one I brought was SPF 15. It's in a green tube and has a very nice scent. Mine didn't have the sticker on it but it looks like the version down here was just stuck on after the fact. But they are the same product so it's ok. Incidentally they charge double down her (Cancun) than they did back home in Canada. Anywhere you buy sunscreen at home should have it. I think there are other SPF levels in this line too.
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Is "Banana Boat Suntanical"--the same thing as "Banana Boat Botanical?"

RCCL Song of America 1990
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Passenger

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Passenger

OK - Finally found some! Hawaiian Tropic SPORT SUNBLOCK SPF 30. Package clearly says "Oil Free, Waterproof, Biodegradable, Environmentally Friendly, PABA free". $9.98 CAD at our local Zellers department store.

http://www.hawaiian-tropic-canada.co...ucts/bio1.html

Old May 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Beginner

Banana Boat Suntanicals are not acceptable for use near coral reefs, no matter if they are biodegradable or not.

It contains the following ingredients, all shown to damage coral reefs and not allowed inside Xcaret or Xel Ha, or anywhere in Cozumel.

Octinoxin
Oxybenzone
Butylparaben
Methylparaben
Proplyparaben

Banana Boat Sun Wear contains no illegal ingredients, but makes no claim to be biodegradable.

Some brands that are acceptable, all available online, are Caribbean Sol, Mexitan, BATAB, Cactus Juice, UV Natural, and Smartshield.

Some brands that are not include Coppertone, Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic (except maybe biodegradable formula), Panama Jack, and No-AD.

Some brands that are biodegradable, but contain harmful ingredients are SafeSea and Nature's Gate.

Natural does not mean biodegradable. Alba, Jason's Naturals, Berts Bees, Avon, etc. do not claim to be biodegradable and won't be accepted.

Hope this helps clear things up. Have a great time!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Beginner

According to their website, there is a sunscreen that is biodegradable and eco-friendly, and does not contain chemical sunscreen ingredients - it's called Mexitan, and their website is www.mexitancanada.com, or www.mexitan.com in the U.S.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Good post. I appreciate it

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prĂȘt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne