Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman

Has anyone ever used Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman? If you have, how was it? We will be in Grand Cayman in May and are thinking about booking him for a snorkel/stingray city excursion.

My other question is this. We are supposed to arrive in port at 7:00am. I know that Grand Cayman is a tender port. Will we be able to make the 8:30am booking without any problems or are we cutting it too close? And, would the ship let us be one of the first people off the ship if we told them we had an 8:30 excursion.

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yeoman

When I was doing the research for ours I heard great reviews about Captain Marvins and Soto's Cruises. I didn't see one negative things about either one. We are booked with Soto's Cruises because the fit out time in port. Hope that helps, Carla
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked through Captain Marvins the last time I was in GC - They were awesome! I highly recommend them. The boat only had maybe 12 people on it and the tour guide was so nice. When we got to Sting Ray City our group was so small and not crowded at all - We were there for about an hour when we were leaving the Carnival Group came and I kid you not 100 people got off that tour. It couldnt have been enjoyable for any of them.

I would email them and ask about the time to book, if I remember correctly we did the 8:30. We were eating lunch at a local restaurant by 1pm. Absolute great day!

Are you going to Cozumel and Jamiaca? If so do your shopping in GC, I wish I had and regretted it later. IT was by far the best port to do it in and I just kept thinking I would see something better - But I didnt.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Marvlgirl,

Thanks for your advice! We are hoping to be able to do the 8:30-10:45 snorkel/stingray excursion so we will have the afternoon to shop and sightsee!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownies95
Marvlgirl,

Thanks for your advice! We are hoping to be able to do the 8:30-10:45 snorkel/stingray excursion so we will have the afternoon to shop and sightsee!
Just remember to watch your times. It is a tender port and from what everyone is saying it takes a while to get all the Carnival Excursion off. I have a 9:30 booked with a 7am entrance to port and have been told I would be cutting it close. Just an FYI, Carla
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Passenger

We did Captain Marvin's last month, and I didn't realize that Grand Cayman was a tender port. Our arrival time was 7:30, and of course, Captain marvin's says to be at their store at 8. I was a bit worried....fortunately, it seemed that most of the people on our ship seemed to do the ship excursions--and Carnival staggered their excursion times throughout the morning to avoid a big rush early. So, we were at the meeting spot on the ship about 15 minutes before we were told to be there and were among the first people waiting for our tender assignments. We had no problems getting assigned to the first tender. Fortunately, the day we were there, there were only three cruise ships in port, so it was relatively easy and pain free to get off the ship. I would say that you have no worries on getting to CaptainMarvin's in time.

i would also recommend the turtle farm, too, and that can be arranged through Captain Marvin's as well.

WOOHOO!

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Yeoman

We had no problems getting onto a tender early. We just walked down early and walked right on. We were on Grand Cayman in less than an hour after docking. It seemed like Carnival staggered the tours so there was no large pile up early. Carla
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Beginner

I used Capt Marvin about 2 years ago & was very happy with the experience. You will not have any problems with being on time because the ship is on daylight savings time & Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard time, so the ship's time is one hour ahead of the island.
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Captain marvins is awesome. I had the same question, just email him and he will send you a response that says that he will wait for you and tell you what color shirts they will be wearing.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
First Mate

We are booking for the full day excursion with him in September. Doing the whole conch appetizer and lunch thing. Looking forward to it very much. They replied to our email very quickly and were super nice.

Has anyone done the full day? I like to shop, but I don't know that I can really afford anything in the Caymans, from what I've heard.
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Passenger

We just booked with Captain Marvins as well. We will be there on June 6 on the Liberty. We booked the stingray tour and turtle farm. They were very prompt with their emails and questions. I am so glad that I heard about them on this site! Thanks everyone!
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Passenger

We had booked with Captain Marvin's as well. We loved it! However, we were supposed to get to Grand Cayman at 7 and at 9:30 we were all still in a mass on the stairs! We were supposed to be at the pier for the tour by this time! So we ran for our lives once we got off- luckily there was another couple from our ship also on the tour so they were waiting for 4 of us and had seen the ship come in.

Thank goodness they waited for us! This was the worst moment of the cruise, being packed on the stairs!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Default more Captain Marvin Questions

Im booking with Captain Marvin as well. I like to save money and I like to be with smaller groups. Any reccomendations for what time I should book my excursion, I'd like to get it out of the way fairly early so I have beach time.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Admiral

you absoutley cannot go wrong with Captain Marvin. Top notch outfit.
You can book the first morning excursion if you are scheduled in at 7am. Caymen is on Central Time, giving you an extra hour.
Just a quick FYI- we had to cancel our tour with Captain Marvin recently because we got too much sun the day before in Cozumel, all we had to do was walk to their office and tell them that we had to cancel, they were very nice and very professional about the whole thing, didn't cost us anything, no penalties
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
First Mate

I had put down the wrong date on my request, and Captain Marvin's automatically fixed it for me. They know the ships so well. I was glad (and a little embarrassed)