Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Default Do it yourself shore excursions?

Hi there,

We're going to the eastern Caribbean with Carnival Victory on 05/13/07.
Has anybody of you ever planned a shore excursion by yourself?The excursions offered by Carnical are very expensive so we are not sure whether to choose one of them or to plan an excursion by our own. We read that the criminality rate in the Caribbean is very high.... so we're not sure if it's that clever to walk around alone...?

Any suggestions?
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default excursions

When you get off the ship, there will be a LOT of vendors on the pier offering the same excursions. I would go to the website for the port you will be in and see what companies they support at their website.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It really depends on your ports of call, but in most of the Eastern Caribbean, it very easy to go out on your own. You can get a guide/driver at the pier to take you around, or you can rent a vehicle and go on your own.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Passenger

We booked our own excursions for our Western Caribbean cruise well in advance. It was very easy to do by just doing a bit of research on your own ports of call. And at all of them, they also had vendors trying to sell excursions to people who don't already have things booked.

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Just my 2 cents, I would either book in advance with reputable companies (you can ask about specific ones here) or bite the financial bullet and do it through the ship. Some of those hustling people as you get off the ship are legit and some are not. It does depend a lot on which ports you are talking about. But, we have had several less than safe "adventures" with just winging it with a local vendor when we got there. When you are with the ship tour, the vendors know that anything they do will lose them business in the future, so it's not worth it. When you are on your own, that does not apply.
I am pretty adventurous by nature and DH even more so, but we have learned some hard lessons.
Marty
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Do it yourself shore excursions?

Never bothered me, but then I'm a 6' guy, a pretty savy 20 year cruise veteran, and walk around ports like I know exactly where I am going (I research them well before I go). That said when taking my 11 year old kiddo (himself a savy 11 year cruise veteran) I am very cautious in many places, Jamaica being at the top of the list, Grand Cayman at the bottom. Skip wearing jewelery and stick to very tourist travelled areas where police are generally about. Go in a group with other couples. Get recommendations from folks who have been there before and use your intuition. Also don't be stupid and get drunk in foreign ports, ala that student in relatively safe Aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy0815
We read that the criminality rate in the Caribbean is very high.... so we're not sure if it's that clever to walk around alone...?

Any suggestions?
Thank you
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:47 PM
First Mate

We have done most of our excursions either on our own, or with independent operators. Over on the Cruise Critic boards, there are a LOT of recommendations under ports of call. Sorry, but this board just doesn't have as many as that board does.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Admiral

I have done several of my own shore excursions. I research the companies on line first by doing a search on the ports at Google then I try to find feed back on cruise chat websites such as this one for feedback. It would help if you listed your ports so people can make recomendations.

I have booked with Sunny Liston tours in St. Thomas a real bargain at $20, I wish I had done San Juan on my own as Carnival city tour was not worth it, I would have had more time at the places that interested me if I just took a cab, in Nassau I went to the zoo, took a city bus for just $1 the locals were protective of us, and I felt very safe, I also ate at the Fish fry area where the locals eat. I have also done my own excursions in Mazatlan Mexico with Mazatlan Frank and in Belize with Coral Breeze limited. I plan to use Captain Marvin on my next cruise in Grand Cayman.

I saved a lot of money and I feel had better excursions then the ship offered, with smaller groups. In certain ports where safety might be an issue I might stick to the ships tours, ditto with tender ports as you don't want to miss your boat. Hope this helps.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
cozumelcruising

Cozumel is VERY safe, a lot of online cozumel excursions available and also many vendors...
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Captain

personal when we cruise its me and my mom so we take the ship tours
there aretwo reason we know we will get back in time andif we have problem some one will helps and we feel better be in a group
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Beginner

For safer cities, there is a new option-

Self-guided audio tours!

They give you the flexibility to see what interests you while getting the key information for that city.

You can find some free on-line, while others charge nominal cost. Others can be purchased either in advance on the web for your destination or at local shops.

I think this will be a trend of the future as society gets more technological and we want to learn more but don't want the time limitations.

Options include:
WAV and MP3 formats that can be used on CD & MP3 players, cell phones and Ipods.
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I see your cruise is over, but for anyone else going you can take a taxi from the port and do well in St. Thomas and Nassau, but in St Maaten I suggest an excursion from your ship there. We walked off our boat & walked to the beach, got a drink and a umbrella and chair. Sat down and it was fun, but the vendors started coming around then the people started coming over from their ships on boats. It got crowded after awhile, so we walked behind the beach to the shopping area. It was quaint and fun, but the people around the beach just didn't seem trustworthy. If we ever go back we will do an excursion.

Study where you are going, very important! Like St. Thomas, we took a van with others to a nice beach to snorkel (we were the only ones who got out at this beach) that was part of a resort, and took another taxi, by ourselves, to tour St. Thomas. I will never take another mountain tour though, that cured me of doing that. Those aren't even hair pin curves, I don't know how people did it who rented cars or other motor vehicles. He was a great driver, but you had to take turns going around corners.

Nassau we took a van, with others, to Atlantis resort and had a private tour of that.