Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
First Mate

Default Nassau, what to do other then Atlantis?

I've done Atlantis. What else is good fun there? How is the snorkeling?
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Nassau, what to do other then Atlantis?

There is a dolphin encouter and a sting ray encounter there. Snorkling can be OK depending on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Nassau, what to do other then Atlantis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Admiral

I've been to Nassau a good bit and I'm a little weary of that port, but there are still things to do.

If you want a walking tour, Frommer's Guide to the Bahamas offers up a wonderful route. My son and I did this on our first cruise and had a really good time. We ventured off the path and found several little out of the way shops and restaurants with NO other tourists around. If you do a walking tour, don't forget Queen's Staircase, which will take you to Fort Fincastle. It's the highest point on the island and has a wonderful view of the harbor with all the ships.

I also recommend taking the #10 bus (you can get one at the terminal) and heading to "Fish Fry" for lunch. Any bus or taxi driver knows this place. We had a wonderful (fried) fish lunch and sat for hours on the outside deck overlooking the Fish Fry area, which on certain nights of the week is where the locals hand out to eat, party and socialize.

We also like Cable Beach. Resorts are more than happy to let you walk right thru their front door and lounge on the beach for free. There are wonderful little beach bars (all belong to the hotels) and even a few vendors.

Last time there we parasailed from Cable Beach. It's a blast!

have fun!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
First Mate

thanks for the great info dorothy. Some good ideas. I am also gonna look into the sting ray and dolphins. I've done sting ray city but my dad and sister haven't , I think they would get a kick out of it...maybe?!