Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Going to Progreso - Please take notes

My sister and I are going to be celebrating her birthday (January 16, 2008) on the Voyager of the Seas. On that day our ship will be docking in Progreso, (Yucatan) and we can not find anything of interest (to us) to do. Since we do not swim neither one of us are beach people, although we do plan on doing the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel. From what I just read on this website there isn't that much to do in Progreso except walk around or go to some ruins (and we have been there and done that. )

If anyone of my CruiseMates (my pet name for people on this web site) will be going to Progreso before January 2008 please take notes for us (I'll be 58 and my sister will be 61). I would hate to have my sister spend her birthday on the ship because the only thing for us to do is walk in and out of the shops.

I thought I remember reading about a Bird, Monkey, and/or Butterfly Farm (I'm into photographing exotic birds) within walking distance of the Pier but I can not find it anyone more.

Any suggestions for us?

MY GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL but NEVER HALF EMPTY

January 2008 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas (Counter not working)

January 2007 - Norwegian SUN
September 2005 - Carnival Conquest
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Admiral

You can also take a tour to Merida, which is nearby. I didn't care much for it, but I have been to Mexico a lot. I went with a friend, who loved it. We went to an old Spanish monastery, then boarded horse drawn carriages to ride around the town's ruins, then had a yummy lunch at a small restaraunt. Hands down, the absolute best vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted. Since it's her birthday, you might be able to arrange something a little special there.
Have fun!
Marty
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Passenger

Thanks Colorcrazie - your suggestion is an option I might need to look into too.

The Birds and Monkeys I was thinking about is called "Pirates, Birds & Monkeys of the Caribbeans" and is at Gumbalimba Park in Roatan, Honduras. Just wanted to set the record set for anyone reading this.

Rosie
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict
Default Been there - did this...

Hey Froggie,
Howdy neighbor - I am in Lafayette LA :o

Anyway, although we were on Carnival (Ecstasy out of Galveston) I thought I'd let you know about our excursion at Progreso as we enjoyed it very much. We did the Mexican Rodeo and Merida City Tour.

First we were on a very nice bus from Progreso to Merida (a larger city that I believe is a capital city; capital of the Yucatan I think). We toured the city for about 1.5 hours. Had time to shop, saw historical sights and had the best sorbet you could every imagine Then we took the bus back toward Progreso to a ranch, had a Mexican buffet lunch (DH had at least 3 servings of the lime soup - sounds yuk but he and a couple others with us loved it!) after lunch was a folkloric dance recital, after that was the rodeo. After the rodeo it was back to the ship. I think the whole thing was 5.5 hours(?) I guess not one particular thing was spectacular (except that Sorbet - lol) but the whole adventure was very enjoyable to all 6 of us that went. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I'm sure you'll find something great to do there...but it may include a short trip over to Merida. (Stuller has a plant there in Merida
Happy Cruising!

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Thanks Lafayette neighbor,

Depending on how long the ship is in port its sounds like a good option to sittting on a beach all day. My sister has a fear of missing the ship while we are in port especially since we learned that RCL is one cruise line that "might" not wait for passengers, even if they are on a ship-sponsored tour. So we are trying to limit our tours to 4 hours or less on this trip.

And, as you can probably tell from the ship we'll be on and date that we are sailing on that we are sailing-away with C.J., Debbie Ray and Kermit although I use Charlie for my TA. If you ever go with them E-Mail me and if we are going with them that year we'll get together one day to say hello. 8)