Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Default Taking my 87 Year Old Grandfather

I am taking my 87 year old Grandfather on a cruise. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to at the ports (Cozumel, Montego Bay, Labiti and Grand Cayman. Is is gets around pretty good around short distances, however, I am also bringing a wheelchair. Are there any excursions/activities that are enjoyable for elderly people?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Taking my 87 Year Old Grandfather

Grand Cayman - Turtle Farm or glass bottom boat
Cozumel - glass bottom boat

Watch the heat as it can be hard on your GF. Be sure he has a wide brim hat and take water with you. Watch him closely when tendering as his reflexes may be slower that the motion of the water on the tender. Suggest you carry his bag and let GF focus on getting his grip and steady footing. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby33
I am taking my 87 year old Grandfather on a cruise. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to at the ports (Cozumel, Montego Bay, Labiti and Grand Cayman. Is is gets around pretty good around short distances, however, I am also bringing a wheelchair. Are there any excursions/activities that are enjoyable for elderly people?

Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Admiral

I occasionally cruise with my 86 year old mother-in-law and she enjoys sightseeing bus excursions, it is the only excursion she can comfortably handle. She loves seeing the different ports from the comfort of a bus. Other than that, she loves to browse in all the shops. Because she is very frail, getting on and off a tender boat is not an option, even with the assistance of the ship's personnel. Therefore, all tendered ports (such as Grand Cayman) are out of the question for her and I keep that in mind when booking a cruise. When I cruise with her to the Caribbean, we always book the eastern itinerary because there are no tender ports, San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin are all docked ports. Also, she very much relies on the close proximity of a restroom which is a big concern on tours. We always have a great time but it is a totally different cruise experience than when I cruise with my daughter and grandson. Best of luck on your upcoming cruise, you will have a great time.