Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Default Western Caribbean Shore Excursion recommendations...

Hello All!

I'm really enjoying all of the great informaion on this board. This will be our first cruise and this forum proving to be a great resource.

My girlfriend and I are in our mid 30s and we are pretty active people. We set sail for Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel in Mid July 07 on the Carnival Conquest.

Questions... Is it better to pre-pay your excursions or simply wait for the cruise? Also, Which excursions do you recommend at the various ports listed. I'm 99% in on Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. However, I'm pretty much up in the air on the other two.

I've read that it is less expensive in Jamaica if you simply just find one of the resorts yourself and then pay for a day pass on the property. Is this true? If yes, which resorts do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Respectfully,

James
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Captain

we always wait until we get on the ship to book our shore trips
on one our cruise one of are ports of call was change because of
hurricane damage you don't when there might be a change
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have taken two cruises so far and have booked my excursions prior to leaving home. First, you can pretty much be guarented to get your pick, or know right away if you can't get into one. Second, your tickets are in your cabin when you arrive (at least on NCL) Third, you can order from the comfort of your couch and not stand in long lines and waste your valuable vacation time!
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

We pre-book on-line before we go. Even if there is a change due to weather or hurricane damage, the cruise line will refund your money, just not if you change your mind.
Do go to Sting Ray City! I was terrified of sting rays, but went to please DH. It was amazing, a memory for life.
Jamaica is one of the last places I would go off on my own. When I lived in Miami, I would fly down on my own, but things have gotten a tad more intense and it is not the safest place. Even though most problems are in Kingston, which the ships never go near (it is on the opposite side of the island from Ochos Rios and Montego Bay), there is still quite a bit of crime and they can spot a tourist newbie in a heartbeat. Just my take on it.
Marty
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks for the advice...

I appreciate your help! I booked the Dunn River Falls/Dolphin Cove Swim in Jamaica and the Stingray City Sandbar tour/Rum Point Beach Extravaganza in Grand Cayman. However, I'm still not sure what we will do in Cozumel. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

James
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Admiral

In Cozumel, you can go see some rather small Mayan ruins. My hubby did them on horseback. Not very impressive, but interesting if you have never done others. Or go to Chakanaab, a really nice beach style park, or what we do, which is take cab into town and hire a horse drawn buggy to take a mini-tour, then shop.
FYI, we are not much on partying, so I have no clue about those tours, which some folks love.
Marty
Old May 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM
cozumelcruising

here some cruise favorites for Cozumel.... (no adertisement,... but experience, all available through cruise)

Cozumel Speedboat Adventure
Jungle ATV Excursion
Power Snorkeling
Off Road Go Karts
Sail and Snorkel charter
Parasailing
Wave Runners
SCUBA
SNUBA
......... and much much more....ask the cruisemates...cozumel has a LOT of excursions and activities available and more and more new ones as well!!

favorite and typical excursions in Cozumel, good luck!
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:21 AM
Admiral

in Cozumel book a reef snorkeling tour with the cruise line. The snorkeling in Cozumel is great and very easy
Old May 31st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Passenger

When I was looking at Cozumel, I really wanted to do Race Fantastique. It's suppossed to be sort of like "The amazing Race" if you have ever watched that. Anyway, it looks like you would see a lot of the area. Worth looking into, I think.
Old May 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks for the advice...

James:

You got your money's worth of good advice here. All I can add is get some water shoes for climbing the falls and go light on carrying money and valuables in Jamaica.

Cool Runnings 8)

Dave (San Antonio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
I appreciate your help! I booked the Dunn River Falls/Dolphin Cove Swim in Jamaica and the Stingray City Sandbar tour/Rum Point Beach Extravaganza in Grand Cayman. However, I'm still not sure what we will do in Cozumel. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

James
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Admiral

What about a water proof "wallet"/fanny pack. I got soaked...with water, that is...when I climbed the falls eons ago.
Marty
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Good catch, but hopefully with those water shoes there will be no slips or spills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
What about a water proof "wallet"/fanny pack. I got soaked...with water, that is...when I climbed the falls eons ago.
Marty
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Actually, I didn't slip. My DH picked me up (I was skinny then) and jumped into one of the deep pools part way up the falls. I still have the pic that the guide took. I was just glad he had my camera!
But, you are so right about water shoes. The good ones are comfortable and not only minimize slipping, but are great if walking into water where there is old coral. Thinking Cozumel experiences here. I loaned my good ones to a frriend for a cruise and almost had to fight to get them back. She has severe damage to bottom of one foot from stepping on glass barefoot at a beach. Her foot hurts a lot and she is understandably paranoid about it happening again.
Marty
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Beginner

Default Try Race Fantastique

Hi James,

My name is Larry and I am one of the organizers of Race Fantastique in Cozumel. Please pardon my soliciting, but I'm hoping you'll check out my excursion while you are there. The excursion is exclusive to Carnival, and is kind of like the TV show "The Amazing Race." We are pretty new, but already there are lots of positive posts about us here and on Cruise Critic. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please e-mail me at larry@larfrace.com, and/or check out the parent company's website for a more full taste of what we do: www.racefantastique.com. What ever you choose to do, enjoy your journey.
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Hi Marty:

The dive shops also have diving sandals which are hard-soled and designed for getting wet with alot of extra weight on you from schlepping gear (think industrial-strength sandals). For your friend afraid of glass these can protect the sole of the foot, just as out hard-soled full dive boots do when we climb out of the water onto rocks and those beaches with glass and other surprizes.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Actually, I didn't slip. My DH picked me up (I was skinny then) and jumped into one of the deep pools part way up the falls. I still have the pic that the guide took. I was just glad he had my camera!
But, you are so right about water shoes. The good ones are comfortable and not only minimize slipping, but are great if walking into water where there is old coral. Thinking Cozumel experiences here. I loaned my good ones to a frriend for a cruise and almost had to fight to get them back. She has severe damage to bottom of one foot from stepping on glass barefoot at a beach. Her foot hurts a lot and she is understandably paranoid about it happening again.
Marty
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Dave,
You are quite right. My hubby has a pair. I just didn't think about suggesting that to my friend. My brain slip will be remedied when I see her tomorrow. Thanks !!!
Marty