Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Beginner

Default Belize & Mosquitos

I read in a travel guide that the mosquitos in Belize carry some nasty diseases. Is this something to be concerned about..we are traveling with someone who has MS (auto immune disease) and want to do the cave tubing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default mosquitos

There can be nasty mosquitos in many places these days. I was there in May and never saw one - I went to the howler monkey village in the woods. It is ALWAYS a good idea to carry (and wear) mosquitos repellent anywhere that has mosquitos.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Admiral

The Belize zoo tour I did one year was mosquito heaven. I had my insect repellant towelettes with me and passed them around. Also, I have heard, but don't really know, that the river where they do the cave tubing is not exactly healthy. My DH loves that tour, but was warned not to swallow any water and not to go if he had even a small open cut. Given your friend's specific issues, you might want to do some research first.
Marty
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Beginner

Very interesting about the river...This is not something that she should do. There are plenty of other things we can find to do..thanks a bunch!
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

You're welcome. Belize has some fun things to do. Just do take bug repellant with you. Also, Belize City is a little high crime, so I would recommend to anyone not to go off on your own in the city. Also, the city tour is boring in my opinion. But, the zoo was awesome, once I got the bugs to go away! It is true natural habitat...sections of jungle fenced off!
Have fun, whatever you do.
Marty
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Default Bugs Bite!

Just a historical note:

Lost a couple very young cousins when their father was appointed governor of Oregon in the 1800s and the family headed by ship down around South America. The mosquitos still carry the nasties even today which is why I waited until my son was older to have him on the mainland down there. See for yourself whether donating blood is allowed after visiting several parts of the eastern coasts. Bug repellant is helpful, but does not make you bulletproof. Years ago when auditing for a firm with offices down in Central and South America our auditors would still come back with nasty stuff even after all their shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
do take bug repellant with you....
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Let's not scare everyone too much here... just enough to take reasonable precautions. There are mosquitoes everywhere and while the tropics breed more diseases, statistically there is a difference in risk between a few hours in a port and staying there for days or even weeks.
My historical note is that my dad dealt with malaria most of his life. I always assumed it started during WWII when he fought in Guam, Panama and Japan. Turned out he caught it as a teenager in southern Missouri!
Marty
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Passenger

I am a mosquito magnet; I have the sweet blood. When I was in Belize last year doing the Cave Tubing and Zip Line Excursion, I wasn't bitten once. It was nice and cool in the caves and I didn't see any stagnant water.

On another note, I found that you really need to keep up with your group. There are many tours drifting in the dark river and it's difficult to "know" if you're with your group. Luckily, the person I was with was listening when the guide described to us where to get off/out of the river. Although a bit ridiculous, I remember thinking, "I could really use a paddle." I never felt like I was going fast enough. [/quote]
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
First Mate

My family and I went to Belize about 3 years ago and didn't get bit by any mosquitoes, but I did get bit by sand fleas when we went to Honduras. I took my daughter down to the beach and at night after showering and getting ready for dinner, I noticed all these red dots all over my legs. I couldn't even imagine what they were, since I am from New York City, we don't have sand fleas. The couple we at dinner with knew exactly what it was, because they were from Florida and I guess they go to the beach a lot and got bit by sands fleas before.

I mean it sounds gross, being bit by sand fleas, but it didn't hurt or itch or anything like that. It just looked so funny with these red dots all over my legs.
Old July 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Been to Belize twice and as recent as last month - did cave tubing and zip lining and never been bit my mosuito - can't say that for New Jersey!
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Captain

i have seen this product on tv call bullfrog its a taning with bug spray in it
this just idea