Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Default Snorkeling in Western Caribean

I will be in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Nassua and Belize, any suggestions where the best snorkeling would be?
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi 22,
My suggestion, would be to book a snorkeling excursion in Belize. We booked through the cruiseline and went to Goffs Cay, very tiny island where you can snorkel all around it, with a guide. They picked us up at the ship, so we didn't have to tender into port, great snorkeling. The boat ride out was about half hour to 45 minutes.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Passenger

i've snorkeled in cozumel a few times and have enjoyed it each time. i haven't been anywhere else, but i'd say pick 2. of course, me and my husband really love snorkeling and have snorkeled just about everywhere we go. (we even snorkeled rainbow river & crystal river in florida - pretty cool!)
RCCL - Freedom of the seas - Western Caribbean 2006
RCCL - Mariner of the seas - Western Caribbean 2005
RCCL - Enchantment of the seas - Western Caribbean 2004
RCCL - Explorer of the seas - Eastern Caribbean 2004

I'm finally a platinum C&A!
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Snorkel Cozumel and Belize. 8) Rainbow River and Crystal River, too, if you get a chance and would like to meet some manatees up close and personal. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc82
i've snorkeled in cozumel a few times and have enjoyed it each time. i haven't been anywhere else, but i'd say pick 2. of course, me and my husband really love snorkeling and have snorkeled just about everywhere we go. (we even snorkeled rainbow river & crystal river in florida - pretty cool!)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM
cozumelcruising

For Cozumel snorkel excursions I have the following suggestion.;...snorkeling from shore may not be the best option, except you know a great place or have somebody take you there. Unfortunately, hurricane Wilma damaged many shallow reefs. The other option is taking a snorkel tour by boat and visit shallow to mid deep and even deep reefs.
I was just diving today and we saw a big turtle, a Langostal many colorful fish and coral......Cozumel is still great for snorkeling tours and diving..
Have fun exploring the other 3/4 of earth..jeje
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I can only comment on Cozumel and Nassau. Cozumel has some amazing snorkeling, but its reef snorkeling, snorkeling off shore is nothing compared to snorkeling the reefs- book a ships excursion.
Nassau find something else to do- wasn't impressed at all with the snorkeling.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
cozumelcruising

I have just been snorkeling from shore yesterday (powersnorkel) in front of Casa del Mar Hotel and Playa Aqua...it is still nice and a lot of life to see, coral as well, living in colors....many fish, eals, sometimes barracudas, ...but also a very safe place with minimum current. For beginner snorklers still a great alternative to boat snorkeling..enjoy!
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Passenger

I suggest snorkeling in Cozumel, especially if your not all that interested in seeing the myan ruins. There is a great catamaran tour that travels to a live reef with clean bathrooms and steps into the ocean (which are nice when your tired and don't want to pull yourself back into the boat).

I personally would suggest cave tubing in Belize. Only place you can do this sort of thing and it is amazing. We booked through a private company x-streme cave tours. It right on the pier 20-30 dollars cheaper and they throw in a tshirt. The tour guides were amazing and very informative. We were VERY pleased and would highly recommend it. Let me know if your interested in the link.
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
I have just been snorkeling from shore yesterday (powersnorkel) in front of Casa del Mar Hotel and Playa Aqua...it is still nice and a lot of life to see, coral as well, living in colors....many fish, eals, sometimes barracudas, ...but also a very safe place with minimum current. For beginner snorklers still a great alternative to boat snorkeling..enjoy!
Great! We're beginning snorkelers and didn't know where to go. Where are the Casa del Mar Hotel and Playa Aqua? Can we find a taxi to take us there?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
cozumelcruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise_More_Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
Great! We're beginning snorkelers and didn't know where to go. Where are the Casa del Mar Hotel and Playa Aqua? Can we find a taxi to take us there?
The Playa Aqua Beach Bar and Lounge is a 1 minute walk north (direction downtown Cozumel) from the International Pier (also called Turistico), a 3 minute walk from the Puerta Maya Pier and a 3 minute taxi ride from Punta Langosta Downtown Pier. There are several special tours from this location and also the opportunity to reserve online. Enjoy snorkeling Cozumel!.