Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Beginners Scuba in Grand Cayman - Review

We took a cruise on the Carnival Inspiration last week and did the Beginners Scuba in Grand Cayman. Me ( 42 ) and my daughter Aleshia ( 16 ). From my cruise review on the Carnival board:

Beginners Scuba:
I booked this excursion for Aleshia and I from the Carnival website a few weeks before our cruise.
We got off the tender (where I forgot to leave Luanne a secret note…) and saw the woman holding up the scuba sign. There were a couple guys in front of us that she spoke to, then they started walking off. We followed.
She had us wait under the little pavilion there at the pier. After about 20 minutes, I overheard the woman saying that they are waiting for 2 more people…
I asked her if it was us because we saw her sign and just followed her. She asked if we have our tickets, which we did, and bingo! The two missing divers were found… lol
Off we go in a bus to the Dan Fosters’ Dive place. Some people had their certification cards and they went out on a boat to deeper waters. Aleshia and I found our way to some picnic tables for our beginner instructions.
We spent about 40 minutes listening to the basics of diving. Everything from how pressurization on our bodies to the equipment we’ll be using. I’m watching Aleshia closely to make sure she’s listening and kept asking her if she was “getting all this?. Of course, she said she was…

Typical 16 year old I guess. She appeared to be bored and I just knew she was going to miss some important piece of information. The instructor asked if we had any questions and I look to Aleshia as if she’s going to ask a bunch of things, but she didn’t. Just that bored look that says, “let’s get on with it already…? lol.

Into the pool we go and we get our equipment on. We do several excersises in the pool such as breathing correctly, getting water out of our masks, finding your respirator should it fall out of your mouth, reading the air pressure gauges, and so on. Aleshia did remarkably well during this portion. Still, being the nervous dad, I was worried about going out in the open water.

We head over to the ocean and jump in. We all give the OK to the instructor and down we go. We start swimming out to the reef and I’m taking pictures. As we go deeper, I find myself floating up to the surface while Aleshia keeps down there with the instructor. I forgot my breathing, which is important, and I finally got it under control. Here I am worried about Aleshia and she was like a pro down there. I was the one struggling to do it correctly… lol

The brochure says you get to dive down to 20 feet. We went to 40 feet! It was great in two ways. First, it’s beautiful down there in the water swimming around like a fish. And second, there’s not many activities a dad can do with their 16 year old daughter. At 16, she’s driving now and parents are definitely nerds! Lol It was a great daddy/daughter day to say the least.

While we were under water, it started raining and lightning. With each lightning bolt, there would be a flash in the water. It was very cool!

If anyone is interested in scuba diving and has never done it, this is a great way to see if you like it. Our instructor was top notch and made the day fun!
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Beginners Scuba in Grand Cayman - Review

OK dad, so when are you going to chum Aleshia to the manatees over in Crystal River? Cool, very cool - recommend Bird's Underwater (usually first out in the morning). Some of the critters are there year round, but more come in about time for Thanksgiving school break. 8) You can snorkle Three Sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofishgriff
We took a cruise on the Carnival Inspiration last week and did the Beginners Scuba in Grand Cayman. Me ( 42 ) and my daughter Aleshia ( 16 ). From my cruise review on the Carnival board:

Beginners Scuba:
I booked this excursion for Aleshia and I from the Carnival website a few weeks before our cruise.
We got off the tender (where I forgot to leave Luanne a secret note…) and saw the woman holding up the scuba sign. There were a couple guys in front of us that she spoke to, then they started walking off. We followed.
She had us wait under the little pavilion there at the pier. After about 20 minutes, I overheard the woman saying that they are waiting for 2 more people…
I asked her if it was us because we saw her sign and just followed her. She asked if we have our tickets, which we did, and bingo! The two missing divers were found… lol
Off we go in a bus to the Dan Fosters’ Dive place. Some people had their certification cards and they went out on a boat to deeper waters. Aleshia and I found our way to some picnic tables for our beginner instructions.
We spent about 40 minutes listening to the basics of diving. Everything from how pressurization on our bodies to the equipment we’ll be using. I’m watching Aleshia closely to make sure she’s listening and kept asking her if she was “getting all this?. Of course, she said she was…

Typical 16 year old I guess. She appeared to be bored and I just knew she was going to miss some important piece of information. The instructor asked if we had any questions and I look to Aleshia as if she’s going to ask a bunch of things, but she didn’t. Just that bored look that says, “let’s get on with it already…? lol.

Into the pool we go and we get our equipment on. We do several excersises in the pool such as breathing correctly, getting water out of our masks, finding your respirator should it fall out of your mouth, reading the air pressure gauges, and so on. Aleshia did remarkably well during this portion. Still, being the nervous dad, I was worried about going out in the open water.

We head over to the ocean and jump in. We all give the OK to the instructor and down we go. We start swimming out to the reef and I’m taking pictures. As we go deeper, I find myself floating up to the surface while Aleshia keeps down there with the instructor. I forgot my breathing, which is important, and I finally got it under control. Here I am worried about Aleshia and she was like a pro down there. I was the one struggling to do it correctly… lol

The brochure says you get to dive down to 20 feet. We went to 40 feet! It was great in two ways. First, it’s beautiful down there in the water swimming around like a fish. And second, there’s not many activities a dad can do with their 16 year old daughter. At 16, she’s driving now and parents are definitely nerds! Lol It was a great daddy/daughter day to say the least.

While we were under water, it started raining and lightning. With each lightning bolt, there would be a flash in the water. It was very cool!

If anyone is interested in scuba diving and has never done it, this is a great way to see if you like it. Our instructor was top notch and made the day fun!
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Divemaster!

Yep, I've been wanting to scuba for some time and have tried talking my wife into getting certified. She's had no interest, so I thought I'd work on my daughter. This little trip we did in Cayman was great! I think the two of us might go through with getting certified.

I didn't know they had scuba diving over in Crystal River. We'll have to check it out. And what are the Three Sisters?

We have a Three Sisters over on the east coast in the Mosquito Lagoon near Edgewater. The three sisters are three little islands that are a good place for fishing... lol

Andy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default Crystal River

Hi Andy:

Three Sisters is one of the springs - good for shallow snorkeling from a boat. Manatees are timid, so snorkeling is better for the up close stuff. Same goes for swimming with the huge whale sharks.

You will need 3-5mm wetsuits if you go in November (they can easily be rented) - the colder the weather the more manatees are driven to the warmth of the springs. If certified divers, you can do Crystal River's King's Spring, and from below watch the critters as they rise and fall when sleeping. Easy diving - way cool.

The best to dive when certified down your way is the Epcot Living Seas Aquarium, where the wife can watch from the restaurant as you and daughter dive with 3,500 critters. It is about $140 pp, but you can pare that down a bit by picking up an Epcot discount book. Way, way cool.

Kiddo and I still fish, but it gets harder each year since we dive so much with the critters. When diving for science in Aquarena Springs we actually are swatting away bass from the endangered fountain darters. All those years spent trying to catch lunkers and then they are all over you and you are shooing them away - go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofishgriff
Hi Divemaster!

Yep, I've been wanting to scuba for some time and have tried talking my wife into getting certified. She's had no interest, so I thought I'd work on my daughter. This little trip we did in Cayman was great! I think the two of us might go through with getting certified.

I didn't know they had scuba diving over in Crystal River. We'll have to check it out. And what are the Three Sisters?

We have a Three Sisters over on the east coast in the Mosquito Lagoon near Edgewater. The three sisters are three little islands that are a good place for fishing... lol

Andy
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

WOW!!!
You are one seriously cool Dad! Believe me that these things you do with your daughter will remain in her memory scrap book for life. And this one was awesome. Glad you both enjoyed it so much.
Kudo's
Marty
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Marty! I try to be cool for my daughter when we're out in public so I don't embarass her too much. lol She has to tell me how to dress though. I learned awhile ago that I can't wear my black socks with shorts...

And yes, times like these will last a life time.