Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Xcaret Eco Park, Calica Mexico - Review

We were on the Carnival Inspiration last week and visted Xcaret Eco Park when we hit the port of Calica Mexico (right across from Cozumel). From my cruise review on the Carnival board:

Others have posted about the Port of Calica mentioning that it’s just a gravel pit. Well, they’re right! That’s just what it is… a gravel pit! Lol

The ship pulls right up to the pier and you can get off the boat without messing with tenders, which is nice. There are buses and taxicabs lined up to take people wherever they want to go.

For this stop, I booked the four of us for the Xcaret Eco Park. I did not go through Carnival for this one, I used the Xcaret website and booked from there. It was $59.00 each to get into the park and another $80.00 each for the dolphin swim.

We saw an old school bus painted with brilliant colors showing the Xcaret logo. Thought we might get a free ride to the park, but since we didn’t book through the ship, we had to grab a taxicab. Not a problem though, it was $6.00 for the four of us.

At the park, I had to wait in the line for tickets so we could get our bracelets that let us into the park. About a 10-minute wait. Once in the park, we were very impressed with the size. I’d say it’s close in land size to the Magic Kingdom at Disney in Orlando. Maybe a little smaller.

The park is beautiful. Lots of paths that go through tropical scenery, great for picture taking. There were many things included with our entry: the beaches, aquarium, exhibits, underground river, and so on…

We got there early and had the beach to ourselves for a while. It was like a little paradise all to ourselves. As the day progressed, more and more people showed up, but we never felt like it was over crowded.

Sarah and I did the dolphin swim at noon. Afterwards, I took Sarah down the underground river while Kim and Aleshia caught some sun. By the way, Sarah’s neck felt much better today and it did not inhibit any of the activities we had planned.

On the underground river thing, you simply put on a life jacket and let the current carry you along. At the entrance, there is a sign saying the water is 62 degrees!!! I told Sarah I don’t know if I’ll be able to do this one, brrrrrrr… lol. Well, the water felt more like 75 degrees. Very refreshing actually.

After the river, we caught up with Kim and did a little exploring. We went to the aquarium, saw the wild jaguars and pumas, saw the sting rays and turtles, and all that we could see before the day ended. Enjoy the pictures:

What a great day we had at Xcaret! We didn’t have enough time to see the whole park, so we’ll hit this one again in the future, no doubt.

One thing I noticed at the park was that there are not a lot of safety features… Very few, if any, guard rails. Some of the higher paths dropped off very steeply. One misstep and you could fall a long way down and seriously hurt yourself. No warning signs or railings at all. You can see in some of the pictures, you would fall right into the stingray pool or turtle pools if you lost your balance. There’s no way this park would be operating in the States like this.

Another example would be a rope bridge they have going across the manatee pool. It’s just a couple ropes stretched across. You put your feet on the bottom rope and try to keep your balance by holding the top rope. Once you cross, there are big rocks beneath you on the other side of the pool. If you were to fall at the end…. Ouch!

I’m not mentioning the safety issues as a bad thing, I kind of liked being that close to the nature stuff. I wanted to mention it so someone reading this doesn’t show up at that park a little tipsy… lol I could see a drunk falling down and getting banged up pretty good.

Xcaret gets an A+.

Another 6 dollar cab ride put us back at the gravel pit. The locals have some lean-tos set up by the gangway where you can buy souvenirs. We didn’t buy anything there, but I saw a lot of bartering going on. Do not pay their first asking price, unless of course you have money to burn… lol
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Great Post and wonderful pictures. I have not been there before and now I wnat to go.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
Great Post and wonderful pictures. I have not been there before and now I wnat to go.
Glad to hear that Rev! We enjoyed it so much I just had to share the experience. Still wish we had two days there...
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
cozumelcruising

Great point of view...someting different and informational. Xcaret is also available on web agencies at 53$ and no waiting in line. Safety issues are beeing worked on, they have a brand new prevention plan. Enjoy! A+ for our experiences as well..night show is a++
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Has anyone done the snorkel tour at Xcaret park? How is the regular snorkeling at the park?
Thank you
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

Gofishgriff,
I have a lot of problems walking long distances due to hip and femer replacement (from cancer) but I "REALLY" want to go on this tour! Do you think this is possible for me? Are there places to sit and rest? Could I go on any trails without those drop-offs you were talking about? How hard is the inner-tube floating? DH will be with me so I won't be alone. Thank you for any and all of the info you can share with me.
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM
cozumelcruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybear
Gofishgriff,
I have a lot of problems walking long distances due to hip and femer replacement (from cancer) but I "REALLY" want to go on this tour! Do you think this is possible for me? Are there places to sit and rest? Could I go on any trails without those drop-offs you were talking about? How hard is the inner-tube floating? DH will be with me so I won't be alone. Thank you for any and all of the info you can share with me.
Hi Honeybear, Xcaret is really great and they also did think of people with some limitations. The walking ways have many locations to sit down and relax in the shade and also they have "shuttle" type service to get you to the key places, some steps have to be managed to get into the vehicle though. Also available are special wheel chairs with big wheels that even allow you to get forward in the sand...most of the trails and attractions are accessible by wheelchair for example. Yes, it is possible and Xcaret is really a unique little paradise, definitely worth visiting and depending on the local or international tourism season, comfortably crowded. ENJOY!!
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="cozumelcruisingHi Honeybear, Xcaret is really great and they also did think of people with some limitations. The walking ways have many locations to sit down and relax in the shade and also they have "shuttle" type service to get you to the key places, some steps have to be managed to get into the vehicle though. Yes, it is possible and Xcaret is really a unique little paradise, definitely worth visiting and depending on the local or international tourism season, comfortably crowded. ENJOY!![/quote]

Thank you so much for answering!!!! I'm taking that tour! This one tour will be the highlight of my whole cruise. I really do want to go. Nix on the wheelchair though . I'm just to stubborn and bullheaded for that yet. Again, I do thank you for your very valuable information!
the SENSATION

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Honeybear,
I have some physical limitations and have found a product that allows me to go places, especially tours that I could not handle otherwise. It is a cane that folds down to a tripod "chair". I got mine from Magellans and it was not that expensive. They call it a sports seat. It allows me to sit down whenever and nearly whereever I need to.
Cheers!
Marty
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for that idea. I'll go there and browse around. I'm not real handicapped but my leg and hip get so tired, your idea is a very good one. I just hate appearing to be handicapped, I'm just to stubborn and bull-headed.
I do appreciate your idea though. Thank you very much!
the SENSATION

Old October 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM
cozumelcruising

[quote=Honeybear]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cozumelcruisingHi Honeybear, Xcaret is really great and they also did think of people with some limitations. The walking ways have many locations to sit down and relax in the shade and also they have "shuttle" type service to get you to the key places, some steps have to be managed to get into the vehicle though. Yes, it is possible and Xcaret is really a unique little paradise, definitely worth visiting and depending on the local or international tourism season, comfortably crowded. ENJOY!![/quote

Thank you so much for answering!!!! I'm taking that tour! This one tour will be the highlight of my whole cruise. I really do want to go. Nix on the wheelchair though . I'm just to stubborn and bullheaded for that yet. Again, I do thank you for your very valuable information!
Honeybear, I was wondering how the excursion went for you if you already took the cruise. It is always interesting and valuable to get information from people who actually live the experience with their story...how did YOU like Xcaret? I have a 15 year old nice who will visit the Mayan Riviera and she is since birth in a wheelchair..I want to take her to Xcaret in November, what are YOUR thoughts? Thanks
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Passenger

I was in Xcaret about 10 years ago when I was on vacation in Cozumel. My brother and I went, and we did the short dolphin swim - there is a longer swim, but it's quite a bit more expensive and fills up quickly. While we were there, we asked how long dolphins live in captivity, and the girl said about 30 years (in the wild they live about 45). She did say they don't live as long in captivity. After we got back home, my brother told me the average lifespan for dolphins in that park was 5 years.

I just did a quick search now, and read comments on Frommer's site and some have said the dolphins live less than a year from capture and are typically depressed. One of the problems is that they don't breed well in captivity, so they need to keep capturing new dolphins. I would advise doing a bit of research to see what kind of place your supporting with the dolphin swim. I think the rest of the park is okay. You can check out a page called dolphinproject.org - it's created by the guy who trained TV's Flipper.

We did the river thing, and the water was fine, the current not too strong. I think the snorkeling was okay on that, nothing fantastic, but it was relaxing. The snorkeling off the beach was good - we saw a barracuda, but it actually swam away from us.

Then we walked the park to see the animals. We came across an ampitheater, and someone was playing a pan flute type of thing, so we sat for a minute and continued on.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Old March 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Default Thanks for posting

I'm planning to visit here soon! I loved your photos, you have me worried about the rope bridge, hope I can avoid that one! Do you reccomend swim shoes, gymshoes or sandals such as tevas which are water proof? Do they have lockers, and towels to store your purse, cameras and suntan lotion while swimming? Can you pet the sting rays, turtles, parrots or other animals?
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old March 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
cozumelcruising

Showcat, the bridge should not be that bad, always dependng on the weather and wave conditions as the bridge is a conecction from sea to lagoon....but it is pretty safe and of course, can be avoided with a detour. Water shoes are not necessary since there is no coral or "cutting" stones, you are ok barefoot in the water. For walking the different trials to get to attractions, sandals may be most comfortable, allowing to use when wet and allowing to dry your feet. Lockers, showers, etc are all available on the site. Also, take notice that only biodegradable sunlotion is allowed in the park, if you can buy some beforehand it may be cheaper than in the park itself. DO NOT pet any animals...I know that birds and monkeys etc are attractive and sometimes you are allowed to pet them...do yourself and the animal a favor and do not...many people get hurt since at the end these are wild animals and sometimes not controllable...look at it in nature and take a picture..this is best and safest for both! Good luck!
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Beginner

Default xcaret weather in november

we plan to go to xcaret in november, is the weather nice enough to swim with the dolphins??? (our honeymoon)
thank you, sandee
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Beginner

Default november in xcaret

Can we swim with the dolphins in november??
thank you
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
cozumelcruising

There is no season especially to swim with dolhpins, the demand and weather conditions allow to do this activity all year long...of course there are limitations like rain...however you will still be able to swim with dolphins, it would not be cancelled...the only way it is cancelled is when there is a major hurricane on the way and they evacuate the dolphins to a different place...lets hope 2008 does not ,,,, good luck, dolphins are available every day, just make sure to reserve your place in advance...
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Default I will be cruising to Cozumel in January and am interested..

I am interested in the Xcaret excursion. However, my daughter will only be 2 1/2. Are there activities for her? Can she float in the river? Thank you for your time.