Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Default Beginner scuba dive or Snuba in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

Any reccomendations? Anyone book this? I have some allergy issues so Im not sure if I should scuba or snuba or if it makes a difference. Also what is there to do in these ports after the dive? Im not one for drinking at the bars probally look for a nice beach area or do some shopping. Any info apresheated.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Beginner scuba dive or Snuba in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

Showcat:

Allergy issues will not preclude SCUBA/SNUBA if you are not congested at the time. The issue is being able to equalize pressure in your ears and for your lungs to be clear. Your allergans stateside may not be present in Cozumel. Kiddo and I both have allergies and asthma and will waive dives if congested, but we often take generic children's liquid Benedryl with us if allergy symptoms are mild.

Just back from doing deep dives with kiddo in Cozumel. Cozumel has an Atlantis submarine which we have done and it is way cool. Grand Cayman also has an Atlantis sub, but we have not done that one yet (as we usually are hanging out at Sting Ray City). Cozumel has some shops downtown by the watering holes, Senior Frogs and Carlos and Charlie's. Grand Cayman is one big (expensive) shopping center. As to beaches both have them, best are usuallyat hotels. I hate getting sand in my flip flops, so I'm usually boat diving - hopefully some of the beach bums will chime up.

BTW, kiddo was snorkeling from our dive boat between deep dives in Cozumel and found enough to hold his interest. You should go in the water - at least snorkel, if you not not dive.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Any reccomendations? Anyone book this? I have some allergy issues so Im not sure if I should scuba or snuba or if it makes a difference. Also what is there to do in these ports after the dive? Im not one for drinking at the bars probally look for a nice beach area or do some shopping. Any info apresheated.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Admiral

THanks Dave, I have decided to do a begineer scuba dive in Grand Cayman to a ship wreak site. It sounds very interesting and cool, Im a little scarred but also really looking forward to it!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Showcat:

The trick in SCUBA is to reduce stress. Stress = more rapid breathing = more air consumption = less fun = mistakes. Suggest you play around in the pool snorkeling, maybe with your own or a borrowed mask and snorkel to make you more comfortable before the trip. Pre dive playing applies to veterans too, as kiddo and I played around feeding fish in shallow dives at a nearby lake the weekend before our trip and took a sub down to 120 feet in Cozumel before doing our deep (90ft+) dives.

I'd suggest looking into an intro to Scuba class in a dive shop pool. That said we have 8 year old SSI Scuba Rangers (pool only) and 10 year old (open water) certified divers, so diving is not as hard or scary as it may seem at first.

The reason many divers are one-time-only is because they get in the water before they are comfortable. Anything that gets you more comfortable - own gear, confidence in skills, pretrip snorkeling or diving, helps greatly

BTW, as you will be at Cayman, the turtle farm is cool - might try to catch an island tour that takes you there.

Dave

(alas, kiddo is out in Hollywood for a few weeks)

Quote:
THanks Dave, I have decided to do a begineer scuba dive in Grand Cayman to a ship wreak site. It sounds very interesting and cool, Im a little scarred but also really looking forward to it!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
Admiral

If I have time to see the turtle farm, or Hell town after my dive I would like to. Thanks for your valuable tips!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
Admiral

Default Cayman

You are welcome. Might also consider going to the rum cake factory as the cakes are pretty good IMHO.

Quote:
If I have time to see the turtle farm, or Hell town after my dive I would like to. Thanks for your valuable tips!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Admiral

The rum cakes are not "pretty good", they are addictive! And I don't even like rum. But, they sell them everywhere in Grand Cayman and even on board some ships.
Yum...
Marty
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

I love Rum cakes I brought one for my Dad in Nassau, it was packaged very well in foil, when we opened it quite a while after my cruise, the cake was fresh and moist! Yummy! They make a great souvenier!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Admiral

showcat, you have gotten some great advise. I think that diving a wreck in Caymen is a great idea. I would suggest that you snorkel in Cozumel, do a ships excursion reef snorkel, it is amazing. There are a few souvenior and liquor stores at the end of the pier in Cozumel. Carlos N'Charlies or Senor Frogs are great fun places to chill with a cold one after an excursion.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Thanks Lisa Im looking into beaches that offer snorkle in Cozumel now.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Admiral

showcat, the beach snorkeling is ok, but if you really want to see some amazing sites you need to reef snorkel. We book the ships excursion to the Palencaar Reef, we have done this twice and loved it both times!
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Diving and Snorkeling Cozumel

And, if you want to check Cozumel out, Lonely Planet published Diving and Snorkeling Cozumel. Amazon should have it new or used or you could borrow kiddo's copy. 8)

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
showcat, the beach snorkeling is ok, but if you really want to see some amazing sites you need to reef snorkel. We book the ships excursion to the Palencaar Reef, we have done this twice and loved it both times!
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Showcat,
I agree to go with the reef in Cozumel. The beaches there tend to be old coral rather than powdery sand. Tough on the tootsies and really hard to navigate with flippers on . In fact, you can't do it with your flippers on unless you are really athletic. And, nowhere near as much to see as the reef. I have seen reef dives where the boat drops you off and you slowly snorkle back to shore. Make sure you have a dependable dive buddy, as they don't always keep too close an eye on everyone when you're all spread out heading to shore.
Marty
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to kcannava
Default Scuba Dogs

Hey Scuba Dogs wont reply to my emails! I bet it cause the ship charges $30 more than I could book IF they would respond! Anyone else having a problem booking a discovery NOT through the ship??