Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

Default RCI Scuba Lessons

Anyone used the Scuba lessons on board a RCI ship? There is 12 hours of pool instruction. Just wondering when they did this? Early in the morning or do you schedule throughout the day?

Any help would be appreciated!

KarenNKeith
AoS
12/16/07
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: RCI Scuba Lessons

Not familiar with the program as I have yet to sail the ships doing it.

FYI - RCI's offering SeaTrek Scuba Diving on the following ships:

Freedom Of The Seas
Adventure Of The Seas
Explorer Of The Seas
Mariner Of The Seas
Navigator Of The Seas
Voyager Of The Seas

It is the PADI Scuba Diver program:

The PADI Scuba Diver program is a pre-entry level certification that is perfect for vacationers or people who only plan to dive a couple times a year. As a subprogram of the PADI Open Water Diver program, the PADI Scuba Diver rating allows you to get certified quickly and easily by minimizing time constraints. With the PADI Scuba Diver certification you can dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor or higher professional on your next vacation or dive trip.

It would put you in the same category as kiddo, pre-12 when he had to be accompanied by a dive pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Gordon
Anyone used the Scuba lessons on board a RCI ship? There is 12 hours of pool instruction. Just wondering when they did this? Early in the morning or do you schedule throughout the day?

Any help would be appreciated!

KarenNKeith
AoS
12/16/07
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Karen, i looked into this program for my son and what i found out is that you are much better off if you can do your classroom and your pool work at home, it is cheaper and you won't be tying up valuable cruise time with class/poolwork. Use the cruise ship to do your open-water dives for your certification.
If i recall from the ships paper on the Freedom the classes are in the morning.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default PADI Open Water Course

Would agree that doing academics and confined water work at home would be best, followed by open water dives with an instructor on the trip. This would give you a PADI Open Water certification and enough skills to dive without supervision (although I recommend diving with a Divemaster your first few dives after certification and doing a refresher if it has been 6 months between dives).

Talk to your local dive shop. PADI is not the only agency that certifies divers, but since you were looking into a PADI program already I would direct you to a PADI shop (FYI, I'm both an SSI Dive Con and PADI Divemaster).

Where are you over in Virginia and what are the ship's ports?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Karen, i looked into this program for my son and what i found out is that you are much better off if you can do your classroom and your pool work at home, it is cheaper and you won't be tying up valuable cruise time with class/poolwork. Use the cruise ship to do your open-water dives for your certification.
Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Excellent advice!

Who wants to have an obligation to be somewhere every morning while on a cruise? There might be other things going on that you want to attend, or maybe you want to sleep in one day. That's what vacations are for!

What you suggest is exactly what I did. I took the pool and classroom work at home. Then I got a "referral letter" from my dive instructor and did my four open water dives while on a Princess Cruise ... two in St. Thomas, and the second two the next day in St. Maarten. I figured I got the best deal of my whole class. Who wants to do their open water dives in a cold quarry at home when they can do them in the Caribbean?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for the info. One of the two people looking at this is located near Fredericksburg, VA and the other one is in Greenville NC (or will be beginning mid August until the trip in December).

Thanks again!
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Passenger

My hubby did the scuba course last Summer on the Explorer and was very pleased. The instructors were very knowledgeable and the class times were reasonable. They did some time in the pools and then did some open water dives.
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04