Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Passenger

Default Xcaret from Cozumel????

Just wondering if anyone has gone to Xcaret as an excursion from Cozumel? Is it worth the time away from Cozumel and the money?
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM
cozumelcruising

Xcaret is a truly unique nature park with many many activities and attractions and iit is absolutely worth seeing. Depending on the cruise line or ship, the time in the park is between 3.5 and 4.5 hours. If your ship is on a tight schedule, you may want to consider cancelling beforehand as less than 3.5 hours would not be enough. If you have plenty of time in port, you may want to look at Doing this excursion by your own, it is very easy and leaves you all the time you want in Xcaret. Good luck!
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks! I think we have between 4-5 hours there. Do you think that is enough time? I have not booked this yet. I am dying to go there but don't know if it is worth it for such a short time. There is another posting on this same subject going on right now as well. Funny, we all have similar questions!
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
cozumelcruising

Great, if you get into port in time...it IS worth it. Take into account a 30min ferry ride each way (Cozumel to Playa del Carmen and back)...some 8-10min walking to your transportation but from there it is only a 15 min ride and you are in another world...let's one forget everyday usual....ckeck the day before with the shore excursion department about the timely arrival and decide there..good luck and post your experience!
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Passenger

We would have to take the ship's excursion on this one. I am just wanting to know if it is worth going for the short amount of time that we would get to spend there.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
cozumelcruising

If your ship is on schedule, the excursion is worth it. In case you arrive late or the ship will leave Cozumel early...you may want to consider another excursion...most of the time ships in Cozumel are on schedule...good luck!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Admiral

book this one as a ships excursion just for peace of mind.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Default With kids? Yes! Adults? Don't bother!

My husband and I did the Xcaret excursion last year and it was pretty cool - the archaeological ruins were not overly special, and because my husband is a little claustrophobic we did not do the underground cavern swim. The beaches were pretty but crowded and the water seemed a little dirty. Kids would love it for all the paths and animals. You have to wear biodegradable sunscreen there and it cost a fortune to purchase there so if you can find it at CVS at home, get it. The drinks were huge and cheap, the butterfly habitat was the highlight of my trip there and we thought the food was not much to write home about. If you are adults, you would be more entertained and rewarded with a different shore excursion, but if you have kids, especially those from about 3rd grade through 8th grade, you will love it. There are several "swim with dolphins" opportunities there, so maybe build that into the budget if your kids are going to want to do it. Unless they have changed where the bus leaves from, it is a punishing brisk walk uphill from the port to the bus.
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Path of Least Resistance

If I was to be in Cozumel again for a short time - I would think twice about taking the excursion to Xcaret.

Cozumel is world reknown for its snorkeling and diving - so why travel elsewhere to get good snorkeing? Furthermore - it is a long trip - bus ride to the ferry, ferry ride, bus ride to Xcaret and reverse order coming home. There are lots of water tours for snorkers that go out of Cozumel.

We have been to Cozumel four times, both on a cruise and as land tourists, and we have gone to Dzul Ha - a beach with good snorkeling. Many of the cruise line excursions go there for an hour - we spent about five hours there - traveling back and forth by a short ten minute taxi ride. It is not really organized - a club, locker and snorkel gear rental and some nice places to sit in the shade. We grab a locker and buy a number of cokes while we are there - gotta keep them in business.

For a more organized visit - Chanakab (sp?) is reputed to be a nice place. I think it cost something like ten dollars each, and there are other things to do. For our fifth time to Cozumel - we probably will check it out to see whats going on. We have always enjoyed Dzul Ha - as we are primarily interested in the snorkeling aspects of our visit.

I would check to determine if the areas you are considering snorkeling and visiting have recovered from the hurricane. Its still an issue I have heard.

Have a great time and let us know what you do and how it turns out!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
cozumelcruising

There obviously was damage due to hurricane Wilma in 2005 to some areas, nevertheless the locations you mentioned are still very worth snorkeling...the crystal clear waters do a good job in giving you maximum insight. Snorkeling from a boat is still preferred since deeper reefs got less damage, nevertheless Cozumel has still a LOT to offer from shore and boat!...check on this forum where the best shore snorkel areas are...there are a lot of people who can give valuable information. Good luck!