Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel?

I will be going on a cruise to Cozumel in September and am having a hard time figuring out what to do. I will be with my wife and two children (ages 4 and 1). I was planning on going to Chankanaab National Park however I hear it is still damaged from huricanes of the past couple years. Does anybody have any suggestions that are realatively inexpensive to entertain children of these ages.

I was thinking maybe just do a beach day but I don't know of any good beaches near the port that are good for children.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
2004 Carnival Inspiration
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cozumel?

Hmmm....too young to toss in a sub, they can't reach the bar at Senior Frogs, there is no ToysRUs in the shopping district, they can't dive, and are too short to climb ruins. Well, unless you stuff the kiddos in a glass bottom boat 8) or take them to a hotel area sand beach I guess you are stuck.

BTW, dived there two trips this year and there is still stuff to see underwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie
I will be going on a cruise to Cozumel in September and am having a hard time figuring out what to do. I will be with my wife and two children (ages 4 and 1). I was planning on going to Chankanaab National Park however I hear it is still damaged from huricanes of the past couple years. Does anybody have any suggestions that are realatively inexpensive to entertain children of these ages.

I was thinking maybe just do a beach day but I don't know of any good beaches near the port that are good for children.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
First Mate

Since your children are so young, I assume that you did not intend much water activity. Chankanaab Park is open and they have a very shallow lagoon that is wonderful for kids. (I know because I have to walk around them to get to the place I enter the water at.) The hurricane, (Wilma) did do extensive damage to all of the beaches, but the people have really worked hard to bring everything back to normal. I would think this would be a good time to visit Chankanaab.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was thinking about Chankanaab however I was concerned about hurricane damage. I have heard some reports that most everything was still closed off inside the park.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM
cozumelcruising

The semi submarine or also called ocean view explorer..is a nice way for an insight into cozumels underwater world. The stairs into the vessel are steep but once seaten down it is confortable. Since the tour is only like 1 hour and 15 minutes, it may also be suitable and interesting for children. Good luck!
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Channunkaab is probably your best bet. We were in Cozumel this April and didn't hear any reports from our fellow passengers of any parts of the park being closed. There is lots to do there, beach, aquarium, mini replica of the ruins, nice clean facilities
Old July 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Young Children

Have you considered staying at your floating resort? It has lots of activities for your children, and it will be empty. We have stopped a number of times at Costa Maya - the world's most boring port, and the last time we stayed on the ship most of the day and had a great time.
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Passenger

You better stop worrying about what the hurricane damage is left from a couple of years ago and wait to see what Hurricane Dean does to Cozumel on Tuesday. I too am crusing there in late September and I just hope the beach is there when we get there.

I worry about all those islands and resorts getting hammered this week.

Carnival Destiny 03/30/08
RCL Enchantment 09/24/07
Carnival Liberty 02/05
Carnival Glory 01/03
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

I dont think the damage to Cozumel itself will be anywhere near what it was a few years ago. This hurricane wasn't a direct hit like hurricane wilma was back in 2005.

09/29/07 Disney Magic
2005 Norwegian Sea
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Costa Maya is expected to take the brunt of Deans wrath.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
cozumelcruising

Hi, Chankanaab was very damaged in 2005 hurricane Wilma, nevertheless the foundation of parks and museums in Cozumel did an incredible job and the place is open again and a beautiful experience. There are not really good beach clubs next to the cruise piers, but only 10 taxi minutes away and a good choice..San Francisco, Carlos and Charlies (NEW), Paradise Beach, Playa Mia, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Uvas, Nachi Cocom...etc.
Personally for children, I would recommend San Francisco, Paradise Beach or Playa Mia, they are all nice and have adequate and complete installations. Even dough Playa Mia can be crowded on busy cruise days and there is a part boat visiting, it has many attractions and services besides a considerable safe environment for children.
Hope it helps, good luck and welcome to Cozumel!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
cozumelcruising

Also I would like to write another post for this forum subject. We have thoroughly inspected the damages in Cozumel from Hurricane Dean and there is only limited damage from storms, no hurricane winds did really hit Cozumel. Please take into account that the other side of the island is only limited access...but will be repaired very very soon. For visitors to Costa Maya...badly badly damaged and not yet scheduled to reopen...the cruise pier is significantly damaged to say it will take 1-2 years (IF) to be rebuilt. Prayers go out to the people significantly affected by this hurricane.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Thank you for the first hand update. I love Cozumel and am happy to hear that it is fine. But, those very poor people in Costa Maya, whose shops and even homes are right on the water...I'll be sending prayers.
Marty
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Beginner

I do not know about the recent damage but that park was a great place to go. I did some snorkelling there and it was great. Beaches were nice and clean. The taxi from the port to the park (you have to take a cab or rent a vehicle to get there) was not that bad in price ($10 with tip for just me but I was travelling alone) but might get a little pricey for a family of 4 - you might want to try to get together with others and split a van taxi.

Of course, snacks there are a little pricey, you may want to smuggle some stuff off the ship or take something from supplies you bring from home...lol.