Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
First Mate

Default Anyone Have Any Info On Samana??

Hi everyone,

We will be in Samana, Dominican Republic in October, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what not to miss while there.

Also any tips of which excursions we should take?
Is it a place not to miss seeing? I am assuming it's a safe port?

We will be there from 9am til 6 pm, it's a tender and anyone have any idea how long the tender will take? I am assuming it will be longer than the Labadee one. I'm not really fussy on taking tenders, so the shorter the better

Anyone who has been to this port I would love to hear your input.

Thanks!
Comet Cruiser
Gail

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Anyone Have Any Info On Samana??

Hi Gail:

Samana is cool. Must do a Los Haitses National Park boat tour. Bring binoculars for viewing the birds and a few ziplocks for keeping items dry (expect speed water spray when the boat do some high speed zig zagging. 8) )

I was all over the port, up on the ridge by the bridge to nowhere, and etc. last December, but I'm a pretty adventurous hiker. I'd suggest staying down in the port by the ship. Samana is relatively poor, but I would not rate it another Jamaica.

The tender takes a bit, but the trip is not bad.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser
Hi everyone,

We will be in Samana, Dominican Republic in October, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what not to miss while there.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Beginner

I am also an adventurous hiker, and would appreciate any brief info on what is within walking distance of the tender pier: rain forest, beaches, other points of interest. Thanks.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
Admiral

Hard to find a detailed city map. You might try for the bridge to nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Greystoke
I am also an adventurous hiker, and would appreciate any brief info on what is within walking distance of the tender pier: rain forest, beaches, other points of interest. Thanks.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am travelling with Gail....who posted this.
I see that it is kinda a poor town...? So basically what I am learning here is it is a great place to hike.

Can you explain to me what is so Cool about Samana? Gail is stating that Cayo is a great place to go. I am uncertain if I want to go to a beach for a day as we are going to Labadee......

Is there any shopping at all In Samana?

I am confused to which way to go or to not go...

Perhaps maybe I should just stay on this ship for that day... and relax. I don't know at this point in time,

Any suggestions.....??

I would like to pick up a sourvenier from each port... So please please... let me know if there is shopping and what kind of shopping and is it reasonable.... ect ect...

Thanks Louise
Carnival - 1982

Grandeur of the Seas
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Poor town, yes.

Cool as a jumping point to the national park or to see the whales.

There is an outdoor crafts mart relatively close to the tender pier.

*Get off the ship and do the national part boat tour if you are mobile.* You need your tennies as you will walk some caves, but mostly you will see birds, big birds that never appear in your backyard back home.

This is not a port to skip and stay aboard. The boat tour is cool.

If you want trinkets, check the craft mart. Or *get some local currency or stamps.*

If you are an avid hiker head to the bridge to nowhere, but you will get a nice view of it heading out to the national park.

*Take the boat tour to the national park and take your binoculars.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezie1
I am travelling with Gail....who posted this.
I see that it is kinda a poor town...? So basically what I am learning here is it is a great place to hike.

Can you explain to me what is so Cool about Samana? Gail is stating that Cayo is a great place to go. I am uncertain if I want to go to a beach for a day as we are going to Labadee......

Is there any shopping at all In Samana?

I am confused to which way to go or to not go...

Perhaps maybe I should just stay on this ship for that day... and relax. I don't know at this point in time,

Any suggestions.....??

I would like to pick up a sourvenier from each port... So please please... let me know if there is shopping and what kind of shopping and is it reasonable.... ect ect...

Thanks Louise