Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Passenger

Default Really basic excursion question

I am going on my first cruise on HAL Westerdam in October. We will be going to St. Thomas US Virgin Islands, Tortola British V.I., Turk, Gran Turk and Caicos and Half Moon Cay. My questions are REALLY basic:

1) Do you have to leave the ship at one time or are there several scheduled debarkations throughout the day?

2)Can you come back to the ship any time you want?

3)Do you have to leave the ship at all? Can you stay and do what you like or are you required to leave?

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could answer these.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi CruiserPHD,
Yes, you can get off and on as much as you like. The stop at the private island will most likely be a tender port, so you'll have to take the boats back and forth, in that case, I plan on getting off and then when you take the return, just stay on board.

When in ports, you'll just need to remember to take your sign/sail card to get off and back on the ship, but you can do so as much as you like.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Half Moon Cay is a tender port. FYI, they will have a free BBQ onshore for you which is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Hi CruiserPHD,
Yes, you can get off and on as much as you like. The stop at the private island will most likely be a tender port, so you'll have to take the boats back and forth, in that case, I plan on getting off and then when you take the return, just stay on board.

When in ports, you'll just need to remember to take your sign/sail card to get off and back on the ship, but you can do so as much as you like.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

you can come and go as you please. You do not have to get off the ship in port if you don't want to. If you do go to shore just make sure that you on back on board at least 45 minutes before sailing time.
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Really basic excursion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisePhD
I am going on my first cruise on HAL Westerdam in October. We will be going to St. Thomas US Virgin Islands, Tortola British V.I., Turk, Gran Turk and Caicos and Half Moon Cay. My questions are REALLY basic:

1) Do you have to leave the ship at one time or are there several scheduled debarkations throughout the day?

2)Can you come back to the ship any time you want?

3)Do you have to leave the ship at all? Can you stay and do what you like or are you required to leave?

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could answer these.
I think most of these were answered.
If the ship is at the Dock, you can pretty much come and go as you please, taking your key-card with you. Your tote/purse will be inspected upon return.
If you're asking about Excursions, some of them only have one time assigned. On others, where there's more than one of the same tour, you may have the choice of taking an AM or a PM. If you are on an excursion, it probably not advisable to leave in the middle of the tour to return to the ship.
While you don't have to leave the ship, they usually have a very light schedule of events, under the assumption that most passengers will be off the ship.

nlvc