Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
CruisePhD's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas--walking tour?

I am taking HAL Westerdam to the Eastern Carribbean this December. I am interested in either contacting a historical walking tour company or designing my own walking tourfor the historic section of Charlotte Amalie. I plan to start from the dock and get as far as Blackbeard's castle. Any idea what this would be in terms of miles?
Any suggestions as to tour guides and/or companies?
Would I be safe doing this on my own with a map? I am 40 y.o. female, cruising alone, so I don't know if I'll have any acquaintances to accompany me.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

Go to vinow.com and read links there. Also the message board.(http://www.vinow.com/wwwtalk/list.php?4)

They are locals and can direct you.


Phil & Liz
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
CruisePhD's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Thanks for the link.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
colorcrazie's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 2,706
Default

Just FYI, St. Thomas is extremely hilly. If you are going to try and walk to Blackbeard's Castle, plan on some serious uphill trekking.
Ha! I still have mental pic of a friend walking downhill from a b+b we were staying in for a long weekend. She insisted on wearing high heels to go out in the evening and between those and the steep hill, she ending up like a runaway semi in the mountains!
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
CruisePhD's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Thanks for the caution about hills, Marty. I plan to take a taxi to Bluebeard's castle. There is a website that advertises tours of historic Charlotte Amalie that starts out at the castle, and I am interested in that. Since taxis sound accessible and cheap, I'll use them to save my feet for the tour itself. Elaine
__________________
Westerdam
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default Re: Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas--walking tour?

Hmmm...if I was there I would tour the hills from a tram for the views and save the walking for Coral World. As for safety, this is no Jamaica, but noting a kid was killed fairly recently on neighboring St. John, the Islands are no Grand Cayman either.

Suppose you saw:

http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/attrac...tions_town.php

http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/bbc1829camap.htm

If you are fine with the heat, I say go for it, but take water and a hat and start from the castle, not the dock. Ask you shore excursions advisor or port lecturer on the ship for current conditions / advice.

Have fun and be sure to look for iguanas in the trees.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisePhD
I am taking HAL Westerdam to the Eastern Carribbean this December. I am interested in either contacting a historical walking tour company or designing my own walking tourfor the historic section of Charlotte Amalie. I plan to start from the dock and get as far as Blackbeard's castle. Any idea what this would be in terms of miles?
Any suggestions as to tour guides and/or companies?
Would I be safe doing this on my own with a map? I am 40 y.o. female, cruising alone, so I don't know if I'll have any acquaintances to accompany me.
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
colorcrazie's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 2,706
Default

Also, for the heat, if your health allow, take extra salt before you go and drink a ton of water beforehand.
Have fun...some of the views from those hills are fabulous!
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM
CruisePhD's Avatar
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. Wow, I didn't know it could get so warm in the Caribbean during the summer (this will be my first visit there). Right now I'm on the fence about touring the historic area; I might choose the catamaran-champagne excursion instead or hang out at the beach. But right now it is over 100 F where I live, so the idea of walking hilly streets on a hot, sunny day sounds REALLLY unappealing
__________________
Westerdam
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

And the idea of taking a tram around the top of the island where the views are great and there are breezes becomes more appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisePhD
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. Wow, I didn't know it could get so warm in the Caribbean during the summer (this will be my first visit there). Right now I'm on the fence about touring the historic area; I might choose the catamaran-champagne excursion instead or hang out at the beach. But right now it is over 100 F where I live, so the idea of walking hilly streets on a hot, sunny day sounds REALLLY unappealing
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4
Default

I walked Charlotte Amalie a couple of years ago, from the pier to the 99 steps (about a mile or so, with a bit of climbing - this alone would tax most people), and then up into the hills. The hills are about a thousand feet up and I would describe the climb as "brutal". Spectacular views, though.

Traffic along the harbor is not especially pedestrian-friendly, so some care is required. Up in the hills the cars simply can't go fast enough to hurt you. I felt sorry for them.

I also went southeast past the pier to Morningstar Beach. This way is flatter, but definitely not pedestrian-friendly and still a pretty fair hike. Development hinders your view of the sea for much of the way.

Walking within the town limits would be okay for most fit people. Getting up on the slopes would be recommended only for a rare few.

Lard Greystoke
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:29 AM
Divemaster's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,134
Default

OK, if you can do the hills above C A, you should be able to easily get up to the hotel on the ridge and over to the bridge to nowhere in Samana. That said you really should do the boat tour to the national park - you will get some walking in over there to some of the caves.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Greystoke
I walked Charlotte Amalie a couple of years ago, from the pier to the 99 steps (about a mile or so, with a bit of climbing - this alone would tax most people), and then up into the hills. The hills are about a thousand feet up and I would describe the climb as "brutal". Spectacular views, though.

Traffic along the harbor is not especially pedestrian-friendly, so some care is required. Up in the hills the cars simply can't go fast enough to hurt you. I felt sorry for them.

I also went southeast past the pier to Morningstar Beach. This way is flatter, but definitely not pedestrian-friendly and still a pretty fair hike. Development hinders your view of the sea for much of the way.

Walking within the town limits would be okay for most fit people. Getting up on the slopes would be recommended only for a rare few.

Lard Greystoke
__________________
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4
Default

[quote="Divemaster"]OK, if you can do the hills above C A, you should be able to easily get up to the hotel on the ridge and over to the bridge to nowhere in Samana. That said you really should do the boat tour to the national park - you will get some walking in over there to some of the caves.

Lard Greystoke wrote: thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amali, amalie, charlett, charlotte, cruise, excursion, excursions, long, map, st, stcatherine, thomas, tour, town, walking, westerdam

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!! Labadee, San Juan, Samana and Charlotte Amalie Prancen Shore Excursions 5 March 11th, 2008 11:00 PM
Is downtown St Thomas within walking distance ? Thoth Caribbean & Panama Canal 3 July 23rd, 2007 05:53 AM
Walking Haunted Tour in New Orleans....Do You Wanna Go? mteague Chit - Chat for Cruisers 10 March 16th, 2007 02:26 PM
charlotte amalie paulo correia Royal Caribbean International 1 February 27th, 2005 04:02 PM
Walking Tour in Matzatlan Tiger31 Mexico 5 June 6th, 2004 04:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1