Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Beginner

Default Question regarding 250 lb weight restriction on excursions

I'm going to Alaska next week, doing a sea plane excursion and helicopter excursion

Both say if you way more than 250 lbs, you may be charged additional costs

i'm 6'6" and my weight varies from 250-260 lbs. Currently i'm at 257, and doubt i can lose 7 lbs in a week.

Do i need to declare that I'm over 250 lbs or even if say im at 255, is that little difference really going to matter?
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It may matter if its a safety issue, just tell them the truth and go from there.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:39 PM
Admiral

that sounds like a grey area, "you may be charged extra". I would try to find out definately how much $$ and if they would definately charge that fee. It not like they are saying you can't go if you weigh more than 250lbs.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I went to Alaska in 05' and did a helicopter excursion. At the time I was just over that magic number of 250 as well. I had to pay the extra fee, and it was not cheap! It was paying for 1 1/2 excursions because they chrage you for an extra seat. We did the helipcoter over the glaciers and dog sledding. I believe it was just under $500 a person, and I paid close to $700. Very pricey, but well worth it. Once in a life time. It does come down to safety becuase they need to make sure the plane/helicopter is balanced. You will be asked to write down your weight and then the groups will be split up to balance the weight. Pay and enjoy..the safety risk isn't worth any amount of money (although it stinks!!)
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Beginner

I fly heli's and its very very important weigth and ballance is often the cause of accidents
Intrestingly enought i once had a very serious issue for flying with a passenger who was too light although you can add weights to that side of the heli.

If the weight and blalence are out it might becoume impossable to land as it might be out of the range of controls. Be warned don't lie, its everyone life you risk.

One more intesting fact when you used to check in for concorde they had scales under the mat this saved 1000's of dollars in fuel as they weighed you and ballenced the plane out, every extra lb meant carring 1.5lbs more of fuel.