Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Default Info About Independent Shore Excursions in S. Caribbean

Hi CruiseMates,
I will be sailing on the Carnival Destiny in December touring the Southern Caribbean and have a few questions about setting up independent shore excursions that are not sponsored or sold by Carnival. Thank you in advance for your replies!

1.) How do I reserve a spot on the tours? Is this usually done by telephone or email with the tour companies?
2.) How do I pay for these shore excursions? Do I just pay cash when I get there, or do they require you to pay with a credit card up front or put down a deposit at the time you make a reservation?
3.) Where do you usually meet your tour guides once you arrive in a port? Do they usually pick you up and drop you off right at the port, or are you expected to get transportation to a meeting spot in town?

I have seen some great recommendations for tours on the some of the islands I'll be visiting (Dominica, Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua), but would love to hear any information, tips, recommendations you have to offer. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
First Mate

For St. Lucia we used Cosol's Tour and couldn't be happier. We highly recommend this tour to anyone we can as Cosol goes above and beyond by providing local delicacies (Piton Beer, rum punch, Johnny cakes, fried fish with banana catsup, Casavva Bread, home baked cookies) along with an entertaining and knowledgeable tour of the island. Here is some contact info if you are interested.

http://cosoltours.com/

cosol966@hotmail.com

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Info About Independent Shore Excursions in S. Caribbean

Either way, usually cash, and either way. Best to contact your operator beforehand or get a referral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHappy81
Hi CruiseMates,
I will be sailing on the Carnival Destiny in December touring the Southern Caribbean and have a few questions about setting up independent shore excursions that are not sponsored or sold by Carnival. Thank you in advance for your replies!

1.) How do I reserve a spot on the tours? Is this usually done by telephone or email with the tour companies?
2.) How do I pay for these shore excursions? Do I just pay cash when I get there, or do they require you to pay with a credit card up front or put down a deposit at the time you make a reservation?
3.) Where do you usually meet your tour guides once you arrive in a port? Do they usually pick you up and drop you off right at the port, or are you expected to get transportation to a meeting spot in town?

I have seen some great recommendations for tours on the some of the islands I'll be visiting (Dominica, Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Antigua), but would love to hear any information, tips, recommendations you have to offer. Thank you!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:39 PM
cozumelcruising

You can spot most operators on the internet and email or call them with all your questions. Most of them will ask for a credit card number as guarantee and others simply ask for a refundable deposit and balance is paid upon arrival. In many cruise ports, independant do not have permission to meet you directly at the pier (because of the cruise lines) but most will meet you at a location nearby to get on your. Hope this helps, good luck!
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Interesting, have never been asked for credit cards in advance as a guarantee or an advance deposit. Then again I usually pick operators from referrals. Agree that independants are often kept away from the dock where the cruise line promoted/preferred tour operators are to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
You can spot most operators on the internet and email or call them with all your questions. Most of them will ask for a credit card number as guarantee and others simply ask for a refundable deposit and balance is paid upon arrival. In many cruise ports, independant do not have permission to meet you directly at the pier (because of the cruise lines) but most will meet you at a location nearby to get on your. Hope this helps, good luck!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Admiral

the vast majority of independant tour companies have web sites where you can make your reservations on line, most require you to give them a credit card number to hold your reservation, quite a few prefer you to pay in cash or travelers cheques that way they don't have to pay the credit card processing fee, they will charge your card if you are a no-show.
They will tell you where to meet their rep.
Just alot yourself a good hunk of extra time to make sure you get back to the ship on time.
You will also find quite a few street vendors selling tours-this is usually cash only, and probably not your best bet, not knowing if they are con artists.