Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default Ocho Rios: Safe to use Taxi?

I have booked an excursion on the RCI Navigator called Brimmer Hall and Dunn's River Falls. This excursion has some good reviews; however, I have also communicated with Lee's Taxi and Tours in Jamaica and they offer a customized tour that sounds very interesting. This company is approved by the Jamaica Tourist Board, but I'm still hesitant to use anything other than RCI excursions. Do you think there are too many risks using private companies? I am mainly concerned about problems such as if we had car trouble or ran into traffic...we could potentially miss our ship if not on an RCI tour. I already asked this question with a different twist on another board, so I hate to be redundant, but this was before I found Lee's Taxi that is Jamaica Board Certified.

Also, has anyone been on this Brimmer Hall excursion at cruisemates?If so, how was it and should I even consider a change?
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

BTDT Brimmer Hall and Dunn's River Falls - good. Why are you considering an alternative? Have taken cabs around with my kiddo, but very picky about drivers. My experience cabbing was very good, but yours can vary. If you are seasoned and savy cab, else stick to ship's tours IMHO.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Admiral

its all about your own comfort level, we have used certified taxis in Jamaica and have had no problems whatsoever. If you do decided to use an independant then you must leave yourself enough wiggle room to get back to the ship on time
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
BTDT Brimmer Hall and Dunn's River Falls - good. Why are you considering an alternative? Have taken cabs around with my kiddo, but very picky about drivers. My experience cabbing was very good, but yours can vary. If you are seasoned and savy cab, else stick to ship's tours IMHO.
Thanks for your response. The answer to your question as to why I'm considering using a private company for the tour, is that I really don't want to go to Dunn's River, which is included in the Brimmer Hall ship tour; instead I have found that this tour company will take us to a school where my daughter can visit, and to dolphin cove; if we have time.

I called JUTA and was told that this company is registered and highly recommended by the JUTA people. I have been e-mailing with the company owner's and they seem very responsible and accomodating thus far. I have been to Jamaica twice before for land vacations in which we had the same guide the entire week, and it was such a culturally rich experience. I'm hoping to find something similar to this on a smaller, customized tour, while remaining safe. This company does have great reviews on many different sites.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Admiral

School sounds good. I have been known to take my kiddo to island libraries, such as the one on Grand ,Cayman, when he could meet island kiddos, read buy surplus books, and etc. My kiddo is 12 and has been in the water with dolphins, manatees, whales, rays, and sharks. Never done dolphins in Jamaica, so just know nothing of your cove.

Looks like you have done your homework and have a good feel for the island. I first did Jamaica with kiddo at age 4 so I hear you on safety. I would think you should do fine. It is the unwary folk who need to be concerned - not a place to travel with your guard down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paigelee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Thanks for your response. The answer to your question as to why I'm considering using a private company for the tour, is that I really don't want to go to Dunn's River, which is included in the Brimmer Hall ship tour; instead I have found that this tour company will take us to a school where my daughter can visit, and to dolphin cove; if we have time.

I called JUTA and was told that this company is registered and highly recommended by the JUTA people. I have been e-mailing with the company owner's and they seem very responsible and accomodating thus far. I have been to Jamaica twice before for land vacations in which we had the same guide the entire week, and it was such a culturally rich experience. I'm hoping to find something similar to this on a smaller, customized tour, while remaining safe. This company does have great reviews on many different sites.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Schools in Jamaica will definitely make your kids appreciate their own schools!
Marty
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Beginner

I did not do those excursions, I did the tubing safari and had a great time. But I did use a taxi service with some others that I met onboard to do a little touring around the island, it worked out fine and they just charged us $5 a person. If these people get a reputation of cheating tourists, even if they are not booked via the ship, I would think they would be kicked out of the port area. There are lots of visable police in the Jamaican Port. I know it can be scary being in a foreign country but I went with others and figured at least one of us should be able to get away and scream for help.