Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default S. Caribbean Excursion Suggestions Needed

We leave the end of this month and going to Dominica, Barbados, St.Lucia, and Antigua. We are ONLY interested in budget-minded excursions. Anyone familiar with these places to tell me what's in walking distance (within say 2 miles or so) that's worth a look? What inexpensive excursions do you know of for any of these? By inexpensive I mean about $25.00 pp for a few hours. A bit more if it's all day/all-inclusive.

I heard in Dominica there's a Lybos tours that does a whole day tour for about $25.00 pp. I also heard that in St.Lucia, you can get a day pass ticket for the Sandals resort and have full access to everything including all food & drinks. Anyone know anything about this? Is it also about $12 pp each way just for a taxi to the place? *sigh*

I've spent soooo many hours trying to find elcheapo stuff for these islands but not really finding anything that's a really good deal. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I can't find anywhere that just has a good list of things on the cheap with prices. I don't consider $50.00 or more pp just to get driven to a beach and stores, a great deal. I'd like to go river tubing but $80.00 pp for what's less than an hour ultimately, is pricey-I think. Hey, I need to save money to take a cruise next year-!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I would not recommend walking around Barbados, maybe some of the others as well. Some ports are safer than others, but keep in mind that some are 3rd world countries. Staying safe counts more than saving $$.
Marty
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

In Barbados we took a cab to Malibu beach. $5. No cost to be on the beach and they have lockers, changing rooms and showers there. The beach itself is one of the softest sands I've every had the pleasure to walk on. I never felt "unsafe" there.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Default Re: S. Caribbean Excursion Suggestions Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by visusie
We leave the end of this month and going to Dominica, Barbados, St.Lucia, and Antigua. We are ONLY interested in budget-minded excursions. Anyone familiar with these places to tell me what's in walking distance (within say 2 miles or so) that's worth a look? What inexpensive excursions do you know of for any of these? By inexpensive I mean about $25.00 pp for a few hours. A bit more if it's all day/all-inclusive.

I heard in Dominica there's a Lybos tours that does a whole day tour for about $25.00 pp. I also heard that in St.Lucia, you can get a day pass ticket for the Sandals resort and have full access to everything including all food & drinks. Anyone know anything about this? Is it also about $12 pp each way just for a taxi to the place? *sigh*

I've spent soooo many hours trying to find elcheapo stuff for these islands but not really finding anything that's a really good deal. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I can't find anywhere that just has a good list of things on the cheap with prices. I don't consider $50.00 or more pp just to get driven to a beach and stores, a great deal. I'd like to go river tubing but $80.00 pp for what's less than an hour ultimately, is pricey-I think. Hey, I need to save money to take a cruise next year-!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You can contact Fredos tours at fredos40@hotmail.com

you can either do Trafalgar falls, sulphur springs, botanical gardens and mournebruce for Us$25 pp. or you can do one of his many other tours. They would all be more expensive (about $40.00 pp)

You mentioned river tubing...it can be done with him as well with sightseeing included for $100.00 pp.

hope that helps.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Passenger

I'm interested in whether you found any good cheapo excursions and if so what and where? We are going on the Destiny in June and are starting to research. Usually we do our excursions with the ship but they are soooo expensive. We do want to be safe however because it's just us girls.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have done the destiny twice. In Dominica there is absolutely nothing to do that would be considered safe and even the excursions offered through the boat are not worth it. If you like trinket shopping you can do that here but there is nothing of value worth buying. There is no good restaurants or bars in town either. I would say just stay on the boat. This is by far the worst place we have ever visited and the place where we felt very unsafe. We did Malibu beach in barbados and the cab was very reasonable and the beach was really nice.
Mariner of the seas 2008