Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Baboon Sanctuary - Belize

Has anyone done this tour? Do the baboons come right up to you or do they stay in the trees? It's all open trails right? So they can go anywhere & aren't fenced back or anything like that? (think zoo style or one of those drive-through animal safari types)

I love animals, so getting up close to them would be fun.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Baboon Sanctuary - Belize

Google their other AKA, Black Howler Monkeys. Looks like the tour is as you envisioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Has anyone done this tour? Do the baboons come right up to you or do they stay in the trees? It's all open trails right? So they can go anywhere & aren't fenced back or anything like that? (think zoo style or one of those drive-through animal safari types)

I love animals, so getting up close to them would be fun.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

I have not done the Baboon Sanctuary, but did the Belize Zoo on one trip. Got amused when fellow pax thought that "natural habitat", which was in the exursion description, would mean the same thing as it does here in US. In Belize, the animals are already in their natural habitat, i.e. the jungle. Turning it into a zoo only required some chain link fence with gravel in between to make paths. I LOVED it!
Marty
Old December 24th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Beginner

I did this Tour in January of 2004. We were supposed to go snorkling but it was cancelled do to weather. SO we chose this one. They will come up to the guide as he will feed them and I believe we go to do the same. Close enough to get good pictures. It is all open trail. They stay in the trees though never saw any on the ground. Awesome once in a life time thing to do. It was raining when we were there and it was still really good. Only advise is to bring water or something for the bus ride as it is a bit of a ways away and there is nothing on the bus.
Hope it helps