Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Default Tortola Excursions

Hi everyone. If you've been to Tortola can you suggest shore excursions? We'll be on the Crown Princess 12/29. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Last time there we took a taxi to Cane Bay Beach. Enjoyed the beach and scenery... a few cute restaurants and bars along the beach as well.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Admiral

You can get an island tour right at the docks for about $35 pp for about 4 hours. We did this and had a better island tour than what was offered by the cruiseline. The tour drivers have to be approved by the government in order to get in the gates and the information desk there is where you go to get a tour arranged. At the end instead of going back to the dock we had the driver drop us off in town to be able to look around, shop and then walked back to the ship, it really isn't a long walk.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 23rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I recently did the botanical gardens tour there. Then, went up into the mountains. Pretty views, gardens were small and pleasant, but not much of real interest. Not sure that I would bother with a tour of any kind there if we went again. Forgot what DH did, but neither of us was thrilled, or even entertained. But, then, our tastes tend to run to really old ruins, poking around in straw markets...mostly 3rd world places, I guess.
Probably better stuff underwater, but I can't do that physically anymore.
Marty
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
First Mate

nlb1050, so you took a 4 hour tour of Tortola for $35? Was it a taxi, or a touring company, and if a touring company, do you remember the name? What kind of tour was it, or what did you see? Did you stop at the beach for an hour, or what?

brneyes
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Admiral

brneyes

The way we got our tour was thru the info center. Only approved guides are allowed in the port area, And they all use trucks with the back converted to open area seating

Here's my report from my journal:
" We first rode around on the way to “Sky World� a restaurant and gift shop on about the highest point on the island. From here you can see Jost Van Dyke and St. John. The driver made a point of taking us on a road that has a wall painted with a history of the island done by a local man who thought too many of the people of Tortola were forgetting their past. The driver drove by it very slow so you could take pictures and he could tell about each section. Primitave styly but very interesting.

He then took us to one of the small towns for a beach break of about 45 minutes. Bruce and I walked back up the beach toward the river that comes out of the mountains. Then we got on the road and walked back to the beach. Along the road is the local police station and there we saw one of the officers banging a cup on the porch rail to call the chickens into the yard them spread a lot of feed for the chickens. There are chickens running around all over the island.

After getting back on the bus we stayed on the beach road and stopped at “The Bomba Shack� a local bar that is right on the beach and seems to be put together with what ever wood they could find. There is a big party every month for the Full Moon and of course on New Year’s Eve. It sure gets wild as there are all kinds of clothing hanging up that has been found after the parties and many photos of the parties."
We then headed back to the dock and the driver stopped in town so anyone who wanted could get off and shop or just walk around.

Hope this helps.

Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
First Mate

nlb1050, thank you for your report on your tour. I do have a couple questions:

When you went to Skyworld Restaurant, did you just see/visit it, or eat there? If you ate there, were the prices expensive/high in "your"opinion, compared to most restaurants?

The beach break you had for about 45 minutes, do you know which or what the name of the beach was? I'm really thinking very hard of going to Cane Garden Bay, and I didn't know if this beach that you stopped at was part of it or not?

brneyes
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Admiral

The resturant was not open yet for eating, so it was just a visit for great photo op.

I can't remember the name of the beach we were at, sorry. I do know there were a lot of small resturants along it.

Old January 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
First Mate

OK thanks. I know I read where they said the Skyworld Restaurant, was a MUST to either see or eat, but I'm not for sure which. It could be because of the view.

brneyes
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Beginner

We ended up taking an excursion offered by Princess to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. After a ferry ride of about 45 minutes and a short, open air bus ride, we arrived at the parking area. There are souvenir shops and a restaurant adjacent to the parking.

To get to the beach area one follows a rustic path of some 350 yards. There are some steep inclines as the path meaners down severl stories. Once you arrive at the beach you need to make a choice. To the left is a beautiful beach surrounded by boulders. to the left is an entrance to a cave through which you can make your way to the baths. A sign advises that you must be prepared to climb over boulders, squeeze through small spaces and wade through water to get to the baths. My wife declined so we just stayed on the beach.

I would certainly take this excursion again.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Thanks for your input on the Baths. That will give me something to "think" about.

brneyes