CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/)
-   -   When to book excusions..?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/343806-when-book-excusions.html)

Bashlin December 25th, 2007 10:49 PM

When to book excusions..??

we are leaving out of miami on Jan 28 going to calica..we have a chance to book our excursions now, or i've heard some people wait until they reach Mexico..which is best to do..?? we will port in Mexico at 1:00 pm..we probably want to do something like snorkeling..any advice is appreciated..
thanks..

LisaK December 26th, 2007 02:36 PM

its really up to you. If you find an excursion thru the cruise line that you think that you would really like to do i would book it now. The really popular excursions book up fast and can sell-out. You can always cancel once onboard up to 24 hrs before your excursion. I am not a huge fan of booking an excursion from the hawkers at the dock, you just don't know what you are getting yourself into.
FYI - if you find an independent tour operator on line, post it here and ask for feedback

Bashlin December 26th, 2007 07:06 PM

ok, we booked the snuba excursion..but now my next question..is their anywhere to put your wallet and camera and belongings when you go on these excurions..?? i know we'll want to bring the camera and some spending money..
thanks..

Donna December 26th, 2007 07:48 PM

Hi Bash,
I always bring along some kind of beach bag or back pack for all the towels, camera, etc...You normally, just leave it on the boat while you do your excursion. I never bring along a really good camer, just a disposable water camera works great for those kinds of excursions. Only bring enough cash for the day and one credit card if you think you need it, otherwise, just leave those valuables locked up in your cabin safe.

cozumelcruising December 30th, 2007 12:30 PM

Most of the locations have lockers and some do rent them out so it is always a good idea to take along some petit cash...some of the excursions are very limited in availability and some are unique, it is always better to book them in advance to prevent disapointment if the best tour is sold out...good luck!

Hot Nail December 31st, 2007 08:23 AM

The cruise mates forum for excursions is a great place to find out about excursions. I prefer to book privatly rather than through the cruise line. You can usually get a better deal and smaller groups!

zdgp January 18th, 2008 08:22 AM

We book in advance all shore excursions that we think we are interested in. Should we change our mind, we can usually cancel as late as the night before, and get a 90% refund. We consider the 10% penalty as an option to hold the spot that we want.

sandra3022 January 21st, 2008 12:26 AM

We always get a taxi when we get there and ask for them to take us to the best snorkling beach for a few hours if there is places to eat near by then even better if not we leave enough time to stop and eat and then go back to the ship. Its always cheaper and you don't have to wait forever for everyone in the group to get there.You can gring your own equipment or rent from certain ships or bring your own mask and snorkle and rent or purchase fins $40.00 on the ship.