Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Beginner

Default When to book excusions..??

we are leaving out of miami on Jan 28 going to calica..we have a chance to book our excursions now, or i've heard some people wait until they reach Mexico..which is best to do..?? we will port in Mexico at 1:00 pm..we probably want to do something like snorkeling..any advice is appreciated..
thanks..
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

its really up to you. If you find an excursion thru the cruise line that you think that you would really like to do i would book it now. The really popular excursions book up fast and can sell-out. You can always cancel once onboard up to 24 hrs before your excursion. I am not a huge fan of booking an excursion from the hawkers at the dock, you just don't know what you are getting yourself into.
FYI - if you find an independent tour operator on line, post it here and ask for feedback
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Beginner

ok, we booked the snuba excursion..but now my next question..is their anywhere to put your wallet and camera and belongings when you go on these excurions..?? i know we'll want to bring the camera and some spending money..
thanks..
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bash,
I always bring along some kind of beach bag or back pack for all the towels, camera, etc...You normally, just leave it on the boat while you do your excursion. I never bring along a really good camer, just a disposable water camera works great for those kinds of excursions. Only bring enough cash for the day and one credit card if you think you need it, otherwise, just leave those valuables locked up in your cabin safe.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
cozumelcruising

Most of the locations have lockers and some do rent them out so it is always a good idea to take along some petit cash...some of the excursions are very limited in availability and some are unique, it is always better to book them in advance to prevent disapointment if the best tour is sold out...good luck!
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

The cruise mates forum for excursions is a great place to find out about excursions. I prefer to book privatly rather than through the cruise line. You can usually get a better deal and smaller groups!
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

We book in advance all shore excursions that we think we are interested in. Should we change our mind, we can usually cancel as late as the night before, and get a 90% refund. We consider the 10% penalty as an option to hold the spot that we want.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Passenger

We always get a taxi when we get there and ask for them to take us to the best snorkling beach for a few hours if there is places to eat near by then even better if not we leave enough time to stop and eat and then go back to the ship. Its always cheaper and you don't have to wait forever for everyone in the group to get there.You can gring your own equipment or rent from certain ships or bring your own mask and snorkle and rent or purchase fins $40.00 on the ship.