Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Passenger

Default What should we do in Cozumel?

Having trouble making up our minds about what to do in Cozumel. We're doing cave tubing in Belize and Zip-lining in Roatan. We liked the idea of the Tulum ruins, but not so crazy about spending the whole time there, especially because they're roped off from what I understand. We'd kinda like some time to just putz around and do some shopping too. Neither of us is big on snorkeling, if that helps. We had thought about taking a horseback tour, if anyone has any feedback on that...But, really any input would be appreciated. We thought maybe we'd just wait 'til we got there and see what looked good, but will we just end up getting ripped off if we do that?
Thanks for any wise words!
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Captain

I've done the horseback tour in Coz. and really enjoyed it. I was with a group of about 8 friends and we decided to give this a try. I have recommended it to several others, it is just a fun thing to do. It was good for the novice rider as well as the experienced horseman. The last several times in Coz. I've ended up at San Fransico Beach. I love that beach, it has changed so much since I first went there, lots more to do in the way of water sports. If you want to soak up rays that is my pick. Shopping is always an option. I always make sure I pick up a couple of bottles of the vanilla, it is the best I've ever used. It is pure vanilla not that imitation stuff, a little goes a long way so a bottle usually lasts me a long time. Whatever you do have a good time.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can always get a cab over to Chankanaab and snorkel, swim with the dolphins, wonder around and just relax. Its not too far from the pier and you can still have time to shop if you want.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much guys! I was wondering what was a good deal as far as shopping in cozumel, too. How much is it to swim with the dolphins if you just take a cab over?
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM
cozumelcruising

The dolphin swim is about $150 and the dolphin encounter about a $100---fun tours are also Jungle ATV Adventure tour, Bower Boat Escape, Sea Spi Dry Snorkeling, The Off Road Kart and Beach tour...really fun stuff as well and leaves time for shopping...good luck!..also a Mayan alternative to Tulum would be the short tour to the San Gervasio Ruins of Cozumel.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What should we do in Cozumel?

Cozumel has an Atlantis submarine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz
Having trouble making up our minds about what to do in Cozumel. We're doing cave tubing in Belize and Zip-lining in Roatan. We liked the idea of the Tulum ruins, but not so crazy about spending the whole time there, especially because they're roped off from what I understand. We'd kinda like some time to just putz around and do some shopping too. Neither of us is big on snorkeling, if that helps. We had thought about taking a horseback tour, if anyone has any feedback on that...But, really any input would be appreciated. We thought maybe we'd just wait 'til we got there and see what looked good, but will we just end up getting ripped off if we do that?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Cozumel has an Atlantis submarine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazz
yes that was our choice for cozumel and I hope I won't regret it most say its awesome I cruise in 58 days so we will see (atlantis sub )
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
The dolphin swim is about $150 and the dolphin encounter about a $100---fun tours are also Jungle ATV Adventure tour, Bower Boat Escape, Sea Spi Dry Snorkeling, The Off Road Kart and Beach tour...really fun stuff as well and leaves time for shopping...good luck!..also a Mayan alternative to Tulum would be the short tour to the San Gervasio Ruins of Cozumel.
We did not enjoy the Power Boat Escape at all.
Very poorly conducted and over priced.
At the end they asked us for 100.00 tips.
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Hard to beat a sub for adventure unless you are a diver. My 12 year old and I took the sub down last summer as a prelude to diving the reef at 100 feet. Since you don't dive, you still get to enjoy our view, although you will be a bit more distant from the critters. Y'all need to wear very colorful clothes aboard the sub. 8) The sub is a bit pricy, per se, so check online if you might be able to snag a discount. It will be south a mile or two from where you will dock. Not a bad cab fare there from downtown.

BTW, my kiddo and I have done a few of subs in the Atlantis fleet and I last checked out their sub in Lahaina, Maui on my August San Antonio-to-Maui day trip.

...yes that was our choice for cozumel and I hope I won't regret it...
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Passenger

Thanks everybody!
Think we'll probably do the horsey thing. Just trying to figure out if I should book ahead or just wing it when we get there. Are the tour operators for horseback tours easy to find from the dock?
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Cassi- i don't recall seeing any tour operators on the dock offering horseback riding, i would guess that would be something you would need to book in advance, see what the cruise line offers.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Playa Uvas offers horseback riding... daily times are 8:30am and 12:30pm. $52US for a 2 hour tour. They start at Carlos & Charlies, downtown Cozumel.
http://www.playauvas.com/eng/Horsebackriding.asp
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Passenger

Thank you, Precious Blue and everyone! I was thinking about doing the tour with Rancho Buena Vista but I can't seem to get decent directions to get there, so maybe I'll check out Playa Uvas.

Your expert tips are much appreciated!
Thanks again,
Cassi
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Passenger

SHOPPING is great there and some great mexician food also. You can catch a taxi and go shopping lunch then to the beach . There prices are great there.
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Sounds good! Maybe we'll just see what we feel like when we get there. We have our other ports all booked up, so we might not commit ourselves to anything on Cozumel. As long as I'm warm, I'll be happy!

Thanks!