Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Chanakaab Park and Key West

I would like any info you can provide about how to "do it yourself" for Key West - we would like to go to the aquarium and pirate museum (if time permits). Also info for Chanakaab Park in Cozumel. I found this site VERY useful and $$$ saving when planning our last cruise exersions. Thank you everyone!!!! This place is great! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Chanakaab Park and Key West

Take the tram/trolly into town - both the aquarium and treasure museum are close. Try the aquarium first to see a ray feeding and be sure to play around with the critters in the tide pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnme
I would like any info you can provide about how to "do it yourself" for Key West - we would like to go to the aquarium and pirate museum (if time permits). Also info for Chanakaab Park in Cozumel. I found this site VERY useful and $$$ saving when planning our last cruise exersions. Thank you everyone!!!! This place is great! 8)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In Cozumel, its very easy to get a cab over to Chankanaab park, great way to spend the day in Cozumel. There is plenty to do there including snorkeling, huge beach area, food and they also have the Dolphin swim going on there. No problem getting a cab back to the pier when you are finished for the day. Although, if you are interested in doing the Dolphin swim, I recommend pre-book that at Dolphin Discovery, it does fill up quickly.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

I appreciate the information - but it leads to more questions

In KW for the tram / trolly - how far from the pier is it and approximate cost?

In Cozumel - I was there in 2005, since then there has been some hurricane damage. Anyone know the status of the pier? And do you have to walk to the "gate" for the taxi to the Park and approximate cost of the taxi trip?

Thanks again everyone.
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Key West is a fun place to go and bar hop! Even if you don't drink that much, it is still fun to do that a bit at Key West. They have a bunch of really cool island type bars in town that have that "feel" to them. Have a great time!
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Passenger

We did the Trolley Tour in KW. When you disembark, walk into town and bear left. I believe the tour we used was accross from a pirate museum.
If I recall back to 2003, it was about $20 pp and you could get off at any stop and explore. The drivers were funny and very informative and it was a great way to see KW and get a feel for it. This Buffett fan highly recommends you stop at Margaritaville.
We have been to Cozumel twice. The first time we did the Fury Catamaran trip which is one of the best excusions I have ever done.....snorkeling, time at private beach with kayaks, then dancing onboard on the way back! Last March we were back again and took a taxi to Chankanabb. They are available at the pier, maybe $10 to Chankanaab and then the entry fee was $25-30. THere are discount coupons available if you look on the Cozumel travel websites. There are mock ruins there to explore, gardens, and a beach. THe beach has a coral wall into the water with steps, the snorkeling was decent. THere is a small childrens beach that has sand leading into the water. There is dolphin swimming for an extra charge. ALso some palapas, chairs, and drink service at beach and restaurant as well. A nice low key day, not the best beach, but an easy do it yourself trip.
As far as hurricaine damage, there is rebuilding everywhere. The pier we docked at in 2003 is totally gone, as is the nice little beach right off the pier. We were at the International Pier both times. Lots of shopping right there. The pure vanilla is a must.....bring me some....my mother-in law is out. Maybe that is my excuse for another cruise back!
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Captain

Been to Cozumel several times both before and after Hurricane damages. We love both Chakanaub and Paradise Beach. We try to go to Paradise when the grandkids go because they have more for them to do and got to Chakanaub when it is just us.

Since the Hurricane, Chakanaub has done a lot of work, but I would recommend the beach shoes for wading into the water at either beach. There is a lot of rough cement in the lagoon area at Chakanaub and it can be hard to navigate.

We downloaded the discounts for Chakanaub in October, but our taxi driver gave us a better discount on the way out. With his discount, we also got a food/drink coupon and two free t-shirts.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

NBBS - Thanks for the tip about getting coupons on-line. I will also be sure to mention to our taxi driver about the coupons. Do you remember which taxi company you used or are they all the same? Thanks 8)
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Captain

I don't remember the name of the taxi company. We had walked down to the old part of town near the San Miguel Plaza and there was a line of white taxis on the side of the main street. We caught one of those and he gave us the special.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days