Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel- Where to go on our own?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise onboard Glory in September 08 on the Western Carribian route. I am trying to plan our excursions ahead of time. I dont want to stress about scheduling on vacation.
So anyway, I was thinking about renting a car in Cozumel. Is it safe for us to wonder around on our own?? How are the roads? Is it easy to get lost?

I want to experience some 'authintic' sites of Mexico as much as possible.

I notice that most of the beaches everyone talks about make you pay. Are there any free public beaches in Cozumel?

I am looking for some good places to stop....shopping, scenic areas, etc....

Ive been to Aruba, where you can basically drive around anywhere you want and stop at pratically any beach you want. (We even swam in our underwear once when we forgot our bathing suits. lol) If we got lost we would just follow the ocean around and everyone was so nice and patient on the roads etc... Is it the same in Cozumel?

Is there any fish markets???
Any thing of interest that you want to share???

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Cozumel is very different from Aruba. Friends rented car there, no brakes! Mexico is too poor to afford the maintenance that we consider basic on vehicles. I love Cozumel, but I don't forget that it is a different lifestyle and attitudes. People are friendly and it is fun, but roads can be really bad, they tend to drive very aggressively and you won't know the condition of your vehicle until you run into trouble. Take cabs, walk around. You will actually get more of the real flavor of the place on foot. We like taking a cab into town and walking around. You'd be amazed how much you can see by going a block or 2 out of tourist area. Just watch your wallet/purse if you do that and don't get too far away from where there are other tourists. Have fun, but stay safe. Oh, and there is a reason they charge for the beaches. Shore is very rocky...old coral, etc. Only place that even has sand are the ones that charge.
Marty
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Paradise Beach is free. They have nice sand, free chairs w/umbrella, restrooms, food & bar. They only ask that you purchase your food & drink from them. Playing with their water toys cost extra. It is about a $13 cab ride for 1-4 people.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam