Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Default Grand Cayman

We are taking 2 of our nephews on a cruise in May. One stop is Grand Cayman and since one of them doesn't swim (don't ask why..I was flabbergasted when his mom told me), we can't do most of the excursions. We had decided on maybe Turtle Farm and Hell, but Carnival only has this in conjunction with the Sting Ray swim. I would love to do that again, but can't really leave one of them behind.
Anyone have an idea of who might be good to do our own, non-water based excursion? Everyone on our family swims like we have gills....except for this one. Oh well.
Thanks and Happy Easter to all,
Marty
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Passenger

I know that when we did the Stingray swim, you could stay on the boat while everyone else swims. If his parent has not taught him to swim, she or he can stay on the boat while everyone else enjoys the stingray swim. Sorry to be harsh but everyone else should not have to give up an exciting time for one person.
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Grand Cayman

Agree. Do the tour and let him stay on the boat. Have seen folks stay aboard before and sometimes rays will surface so it is not necessarily a boring experience. As to your trip to Hell, your nephew may be interested in the water snakes that sometimes can be seen off the deck in back down where there is water in the coral. At least that was a big hit when my kiddo was last there. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgoodwi
I know that when we did the Stingray swim, you could stay on the boat while everyone else swims. If his parent has not taught him to swim, she or he can stay on the boat while everyone else enjoys the stingray swim. Sorry to be harsh but everyone else should not have to give up an exciting time for one person.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Sorry guys, that is so not going to work. Two teenage boys, cousins, a month apart in age, and a lifelong history of competitiveness. They like each other, but are constantly testing each others' boundaries. No way that one will stay in the boat while the other goes in. He would rather drown. And my lifesaving skills aren't what they used to be.
What I am looking for is a reputable, and dependable independent tour vendor in Cayman. Anybody?
Marty
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Marty:

Considered stuffing those kiddos in an Atlantis sub? Grand Cayman is all about what is in the water and it levels the playing field of swimmer vs. nonswimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Sorry guys, that is so not going to work. Two teenage boys, cousins, a month apart in age, and a lifelong history of competitiveness. They like each other, but are constantly testing each others' boundaries. No way that one will stay in the boat while the other goes in. He would rather drown. And my lifesaving skills aren't what they used to be.
What I am looking for is a reputable, and dependable independent tour vendor in Cayman. Anybody?
Marty
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Familiar Face

Maybe a dumb question but how tall is the Non swimmer? I can remember doing the stingray city and the water being up to my waist? You're on a sandbar. Plus you have a life jacket on. The stingrays in GC are a must see as far as I'm concerned. Good luck

Carnival Destiny 2005
Carnival Miracle 2006
Carnival Victory 2007
RCI Liberty of the Seas 2008
RCI Allure of the Seas 2012

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:08 AM
Passenger

Hi,

I knew one couple that did the turtle farm independantly - just got a taxi from the ship. I have put lots of Info about Grand Cayman ***commercal link edited ***Too much info to relay!!

Check it out - its a really lovely island so whatever you choose to do you should really have fun!
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Cruiseaholic, I will check it out. I have been to Grand Cayman many times starting in 1982! But, I am trying to tailor this trip for the 2 boys.
Marty
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Marty, i don't want to be negative, but unless the boys are really into nature, the turtle farm could be a snore for them, lame even lol.
I think that the Atlantis Sub is a great idea. If the non-swimmer isn't afraid of the water you can do a sting ray tour, you stand on the sandbar with a lifejacket on.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:36 PM
Admiral

We'll probably go for the sub. I know how deep the sting ray water is...I did it and loved it. Non-swimming nephew also has a very overprotective mom who will make my post-cruise life hell if I take her precious child somewhere that she thinks is dangerous. Whether I agree with her or not, he is her child, not mine, so I also feel I should honor her wishes
Marty