Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Default Best Mexican Rivera Shore Excursions

My husband and I just booked HAL Oosterdam for Nov 1st.
Anybody got suggesions on the best excursions to take?
What about "doing you own thing"?
Anybody just gotten a tour on shore?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Hi,
Please tell us what ports you will be in. Otherwise, we'll just be guessing, which might not be any help to you at all. We've done Mexican Riviera a dozen or so times, so hopefully, can help when you post ports.
Marty
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Admiral

I did the Sea trek shore x in Cabo. Here is a picture I think my smiles says it all.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Beginner

Default Ports on Mexican Cruise

I guess that would help.

MON 03NOV
Cabo San Lucas , Mexico1 800a 500p

TUE 04NOV
Mazatlan , Mexico 800a 500p

WED 05NOV
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 800a 1000p

I've read some great things about Mazatlan Frank and will probably go with one of his tours when we are there. But we're wide open for the the other days.
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Admiral

No need to blush, Nancy. Just didn't want to try to list every port!
In Cabo, I like the boat excursion to Los Arcos. Just be sure and do it through the ship's tours. I had a bad experience doing it on my own once.
Or, if you are into beaches, there is a hotel that has a great one and there are water taxis to take you across the bay to it. (Sorry, can't remember the name of it..my turn to blush )
If you do snorkeling or swimming, be sure and stay on the bay side. There are places where you can walk through to the ocean side, but the current there is brutal and even really good swimmers can get hurt. Bay side is calm and quite safe.
Puerto Vallarta is a tad different. Years ago, we would always go horse back riding there. I don't think they offer that anymore, but it is really all I know about that port.
In Mazatlan (my favorite) try to work in a stop at the crafters' market. In the back, they have artists demonstrating their craft and it is a fun and great place to pick up unique souvenirs.
Have fun
Marty
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Sailed the same ship & destinations last November. Great ship!

In Cabo we walked the main street and thru the new Mall. Then walked to the Bonito Rose Hotel and went to the pool. Picked out two lounges and told a pool waiter we wanted to use the lounges, pool, have a drink(s) and some nachos and pay him cash.

No problem Senor!

Walked along the beach and onto the expanded sidewalk that circles the boat harbor (access also behind the Mall Bldg) with the hotels, bars, restaurants, and fancy fishing boats.

In Mazatlan we took a taxi to the Pueblo Bonito and again used the facilities. (Wife even joined in with the Pool exercise class)

Took a taxi into town for shopping and back to the ship.

Since we had previously stayed in PV for a week we just went to town and roamed thru Sams across from the cruise pier. You can walk to Krystal Hotel on the bay and use their pool based on being a cruise passenger.

I'm booked on the Star Princess in Nov and will be in PV again. Plan on sightseeing the new area North of the piers maybe lay on the beach or pool somewhere. Wife wants to buy a pair of the expensive fancy eye glass frames at SAMs that are not available in the States. Women always win!
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Admiral

I swam with a sea lion at Las Colitas I belive it's called in Puerto Vallarta, booked with Carnival, awesome place, had a very nice lunch included in the price, and treated myself to a massage in a hut on a cliff above the ocean, listening the waves crash below was amazing. THe place can only be reached by boat.

In Mazatlan I did an excellent private excursion with Mazatlan Frank, we did the city colonial tour, we got so much more bang for our buck then if we took a ships tour. Frank posts on the Mexico boards here or message me for his contact info. We saw bricks made by hand, and floor tiles, the cliff divers, had a lovely lunch at an excellent restaurant on the beach, went to the 17th century town of Concordia and saw a beautiful church, and had time for shopping. He customized the tour for our liking. He's licened and insured speaks perfect English I highly reccomend him!

Cabo you can do easily on your own. It's tiny and you can walk around or take a taxi, I did the dolphin swim at Cabo Dolphins it was excellent worth every penny. Still had time to have lunch at Cabo Wabo, go the beach and caught a taxi back to the tenders to our cruise ship.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Beginner

We've toured with Mazatlan Frank and highly recommend him. He knows his way around and is very flexible. He is also very nice.

In Puerto Vallarta we really enjoyed zip-lining at Los Veranos. You need to make a reservation because their slots fill up fast, especially when there is a cruise ship in town. You can do that on-line.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Admiral

In Mazatlan we hired an open cab to take us to town. On the way he talked us into letting him take us on a tour of the area.
He showed us churches, shops, beaches, etc. for a few hours.

He asked for 30 bucks up front but we tipped him an extra 20.00

I recommend you stay on the ship in Puerto Vallarta.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Passenger

I really enjoyed the "Las Calletas" excursion in Puerto Vallarta. They take you by party barge to a secluded beach resort once owned by John Huston (Angelica Huston's Dad), the director. You arrive at your destination greated by Mexican women wearing traditional garb making fresh tortillas for your lunch. They sit you down on wood-hewn tables and chairs with fresh lemonade, margaritas and guacamole. Then you have some time to stroll the grounds, gawk at the macaws (large, very colorful parrots) and take a short siesta in a hamock strung between the palm trees. The excursion includes snorkelling (they chum the water to bring up the colorful fish from the bottom) and/or a row of the kayak. On the way back (and on the way over) they serve you rum punch and sing colorful songs. It was a lot of fun!

Radiance of the Seas 9/26/2008 - Hawaii

Life is a journey...enjoy the ride!