Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

View Poll Results: Do you bring a camera Snorkeling?
Digital 7 41.18%
Film 10 58.82%
None 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Quikster Send a message via MSN to Quikster Send a message via Yahoo to Quikster
Default Snorkeling Camera?

Hey for those of you that have gone snorkeling before do you bring a camera with you?

If so what did you bring and how happy were you with the results?
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Admiral

I use the disposable underwater ones. Not the best quality, but all I want is a few pic's to remind me of the experience. Hate having to worry about something expensive, like my digital, when I'm relaxing and having fun.
Marty
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I find it best to bring a disposal water camera, they take good pics and if for some reason you loose it, no big deal. Also, get one before you go cruising, you'll pay double once on the ship and or excursion.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Admiral

This is what a disposal water camera picture looks like. I wasn't happy with the quality. However, I glad I bring the camera cause we got some cool pictures. I got a digital one for my upcoming cruise. If you do get a disposal camera be sure to buy it before your cruise. They are overpriced on the ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Quikster Send a message via MSN to Quikster Send a message via Yahoo to Quikster

[quote="katlady"]This is what a disposal water camera picture looks like. I wasn't happy with the quality. However, I glad I bring the camera cause we got some cool pictures. I got a digital one for my upcoming cruise. If you do get a disposal camera be sure to buy it before your cruise. They are overpriced on the ship.

which digital one did you go with Pentax? Olympus? or something else?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Admiral

we have had really good luck with the Kodak Sport camera, have gotten some really clear, crisp pictures, you have to take the pictures close-up to get the best resolution
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
we have had really good luck with the Kodak Sport camera, have gotten some really clear, crisp pictures, you have to take the pictures close-up to get the best resolution
does anyplace still sell that? I did a search for it to see what it was and amazon doesn't carry them.

I saw these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Water-Sp...8881446&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Waterpro...881471&sr=1-33

however they all seem kinda expensive when you have to pay to get the film developed on top of it. Seems like as long as the quality is good I'd be better off in the long run to get a digital camera I can use for a while.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

[quote="Quikster"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
This is what a disposal water camera picture looks like. I wasn't happy with the quality. However, I glad I bring the camera cause we got some cool pictures. I got a digital one for my upcoming cruise. If you do get a disposal camera be sure to buy it before your cruise. They are overpriced on the ship.

which digital one did you go with Pentax? Olympus? or something else?
I will have to look when I get home. I buy it on sale the day after thanksgiving.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Kat,
Can I steal your tag line about the internet? I loved it!
Marty
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Default UW Photography

BTW, shooting photos under water is dicey because water asborbs light, particles are in suspension, and either you or your subject are usually in motion. Up close shots, shots closer to the surface or with added light are better. Take plenty of shots as most will be tossaways.

Also, good idea to check the seals on an U/W camera in the sink or tub before you use in salt water. The seals can be penetrated by hair or dust - really look at the whole seal surface closely before closing the case. A small stiff brush (not made of hair) can help keep them clear.

(Also, see my post on the Flip Video Camera which my kiddo uses which is a promising way to do video for snorkelers.)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Great question!!! Last year we used the Kodak sports disposable camera on the Belize cave tubing (picture see left) and Cayaman snorkeling and stings rays. The underwater pics were just o.k. I looked for something better this year. I'm really spoiled by my digital camera's viewer.

For my Hawaii trip last January I bought a $120 camera from target that was waterproof & digital. I went river kayaking to a waterfall and the first time in the water the camera leaked and never worked again. I returned it to Target for a refund.

We are going to the Great Barrier Reef in australia in December and I want to get some pics from our snorkeling and recently saw an ad for an Olympus *shockproof*Waterproof* and Freezeproof digital camera 8mg $299 and 10 mg $399.

If I would buy another digital camera I would test it in a pool or lake and not wait until my vacation to find that it was going to leak. That can really ruin the experience.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne
We are going to the Great Barrier Reef in australia in December and I want to get some pics from our snorkeling and recently saw an ad for an Olympus *shockproof*Waterproof* and Freezeproof digital camera 8mg $299 and 10 mg $399.

If I would buy another digital camera I would test it in a pool or lake and not wait until my vacation to find that it was going to leak. That can really ruin the experience.
I just decided what I'm going with an will share my reasons. I'm going with an Olympus SP-700 6.1mp w/ Underwater Housing. You can get the camera and housing for about 200.00. I found someone selling it and I took some pictures with it. I had also bought a Olympus 1030SW 10.1mp to compare it with. I took photos on auto from both cameras at the same spot and the newer 1030sw had noisier and grainier pictures and cost 150.00 more. So I returned the 1030SW and bought the SP-700 off of craigslist.

The SP-700 w/ housing is not as compact as the 1030sw, but I can test the housing without having electornics in it, and I can actually take it deeper if I ever wanted to (40m vs 10m)
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM
First Mate

We have always taken a disposable water camera. As mentioned previously they REALLY need good light to get any quality of picture. If you are snorkeling on a day that is kind of cloudy or around rocky shorelines that block the light, pictures will be poor. Still glad to glean a few good ones from them though. They are invaluable just for taking to the beach or on ie. cave river tubing excursion. (I won't take my good digital camera to a beach if there is a chance of it being stolen, getting damp or sandy, but a disposable is just that.) You're not underwater exactly, but can't bring a regular camera. Last year I bought a small inexpensive digital camera that was housed in a waterproof casing. It worked pretty well, until one of the tour guides in another raft (river rafting in Acapulco)purposely hooked my life jacket with his paddle and pulled me overboard. It was so unexpected (I really hadn't planned on swallowing any Mexican river water :o ) and when I was hauled spluttering back into the raft, the case had opened, camera sunk to the bottonm of the river and that was the end of my camera and of pictures of the river rafting and also of kayaking in Cabo :evil: I had attached it to the buckle of my life jacket as they suggested. They refused to provide any compensation....I suggested they could give me a free disc of the photos ($25.00 charge) but they refused. I may buy another one and provide extra security to keep the case closed.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to hothouseflower
Default camera nice sturdy little water proof camera

I have a waterproof canon non digital camera that is a lot of fun, aps film allows for panorama photos too which is fun for those coast line photos/landscape photos. It floats, is cute, is rugged, and takes pretty good photos. I like that i can wash it off if it gets sandy/dirty, I don't need an extra expensive housing, and it has a rubbery wrist strap that stays on well. Bet you could find one cheap on ebay now.

Canon Elph Sport APS camera $99
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Elph-Spo...3827822&sr=1-5

sadly now far cheaper now then when I bought it, but not for you

Good luck!
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Yeoman

Try www.crazyscuba.com for disposable cameras with a flash.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Kat,
Marty
Marty go ahead and steal away. How do you think I got it in the first place.
Here one of the pictures my hubby took with the underwater camera we bought the day after thanksgiving. The fishes don't hold still like you might hope for.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Cool pix. My scouts don't hold still either when we snap shots as they are snorkeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Kat,
Marty
Marty go ahead and steal away. How do you think I got it in the first place.
Here one of the pictures my hubby took with the underwater camera we bought the day after thanksgiving. The fishes don't hold still like you might hope for.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I am tempted in buying this. Built in camera into the snorkel mask. Anyone has any good comments???
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/751...?promo=QSearch

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseNOID
I am tempted in buying this. Built in camera into the snorkel mask.
Sounds pretty ingenious. If you invest let us know what you think.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:47 AM
cozumelcruising

try your own camera or cell phone on dryfotomexico.com...it worked out well and we even took movies snorkeling...we email to quinn@dryfotomexico.com